Part 19

Two weeks later, Regan came home to find a new BMW parked, or probably a better description was, erratically abandoned in the driveway. It prevented Regan from parking close to the house, and forced her to dash along the roadway through the driving rain to her house front door. Still seething about the thoughtless person who had simply abandoned their BMW in such a way that she couldn't get closer to the house, Regan removed her jacket, hung it on the peg and huffed out a breath. Those thoughts were not helped by the fact she was emotionally tired. Today was a lousy day. It would appear that the world and everyone were against her today. Everything went wrong. With the wrong outcomes. Like that idiot who parked their car without thinking about the home owner, Regan mumbled as she removed her soaking jacket. Practically a drab squib as she shook her head when she saw the puddle on the floor. She thought she was fast: that short dash at her top speed should ensure she was not soaked. But apparently, not.

"Whose car is that in the driveway?" She called as she kicked off her shoes and left them beside the coat rack.

"Oh, hi Regan." Loretta came to the hallway, and with a smile on her lips she announced, "You were caught in that rain!" She gestured at the puddle by the rack and the fact that her feet were leaving damp patches as Regan moved.

"Yes. I had to dash, but obviously not fast enough. Normally would park close to the door. There is a BMW, not sure I would called it parked!" She sighed. "Do you know who parked it here?"

Loretta gushed as if she had important news, "You know I told you I got that job with that boutique in Waikanae?" Regan nodded and shrugged out of her cardigan, which was soaked. Regan knew Loretta had been working at Hanley's boutique for two weeks and she was taking a course at the local polytechnic.

"Yes. You told me."

Loretta ignored the state of Regan and continued, "Well, my boss just stopped by to ask if I wanted to do some more hours." Loretta said as if royalty had paid a visit to her home.

"Oh." Right, and why couldn't she have just phoned, especially given the awful weather? Regan didn't voice her thoughts, she simply waited for more information.

"She is amazing."

"Ok." Regan wondered whether to leave Loretta here while she goes to her bedroom, and preferably after a hot shower, she would have this conversation with Loretta.

Loretta continued to gush. "I can't believe she is here. To come here, all the way out, isn't that great?" Loretta's smile widened.

"Yes. I guess so." Regan shrugged.

"Very kind of her to come over." Loretta continued. "I mean, she is really busy, you know, because her shop is so busy, I mean, it carries the latest stuff, so of course there are always people around, buying stuff!"

"Great." Regan wished she had not stopped to have this conversation because she was drenched. Not just her clothes. She was shivering now. "I think I need a hot shower. So where is your ..."

Loretta interrupted, "Oh, they're out at the moment."

"They?" Regan frowned. "Your employer is one woman!" Regan reminded Loretta. Regan remembered the conversation she had with Loretta about that boutique in Waikanae. They discussed the options, how Loretta would approach the interview, the things she would talk about. And Regan was really please for Loretta when she confirmed she got the job.

Loretta laughed. "Yes. My employer is a woman! Gray's just showing her the farm."

"Your brother is showing your employer my farm in the rain?" Regan frowned. "Why?"

"Well, it wasn't raining when she arrived." Loretta said as if it was obvious.

"And they are still out there?" Regan frowned. Why would they be out in that deluge?