Part 27

Gray blinked. Must be in a different universe, he thought. "She was just being sarcastic." He studied Regan's retreating back, puzzled by the fact that she had said such nice things to him when she could have taken the opportunity to kick him while he was down. This was the problem, she was kind, and he liked her, but was not happy about that!

"Regan?" Loretta studied her brother. He seemed less anxious. A bit perplexed, a different perplexity, and definitely more relaxed. That was due to Regan.

"Yes. Probably being sarcastic...."

Loretta shook her head and smiled ruefully, "No, I think she was being brutally,"  Loretta said, "if a touch embarrassing, honest." She got to her feet and walked toward her brother. She reached up on tiptoes and kissed his cheek, "Gray, go enjoy yourself." She smiled. "Regan was right, you look amazing! " She laughed, "And I bet that Caro will faint when she see you! I wonder if she will give me a raise, for introducing you to her!"

Gray snorted. Then he tipped his head back and looked at the ceiling. Blew out another breath. He looked over at Loretta, "This is ridiculous! I'm nervous about going out to dinner. How ridiculous is that?!" Loretta shrugged. Gray smiled sheepishly, " I am not a teenager! Was not ever nervous when I went out as a teenager!" He declared and shook his head. "And now, as an adult, here, tense and nervy and an idiot!" He muttered. "I've been on hundreds of dates." He kept shaking his head.

Loretta understood his position, she declared, "Well, it's like starting over, isn't it. Obviously it would be different. So much has changed. Our circumstances, for example. We had a farm. A good farm. Successful. Anyone would understand your outlook now. And the reason why." She told him and rubbed his arms with the palms of her hands. "But, for your information, Regan is right."

"About?"Gray glanced over at Loretta.

"Lots, including, you are a great brother" Loretta teased. "And Caro is a lucky woman!"

Eighteen months ago Gray had had women fawning all over him. But after the attack, where his grandmother had been killed and he'd been nearly beaten to death, his self-esteem had hit rock bottom. It was only tenacity that had him going out this evening. His first date in over eighteen months. His physical injuries were just memories, but he hadn't managed his mental injuries. His mental health took a toll. The attack had an impact on his outlook, his attitude, his perception. He was wary, a touch reticent and very careful with his personal life. Vigilant and guarded. And a cynic emerged.

"And you should leave before you change your mind! Again!" She ushered him towards the door.

He snorted. "See you."

"See you. Have a great time." Loretta smiled and Gray left the room.

By the time Regan had returned to the lounge, her face freshly scrubbed, new makeup applied, and her feet in her flat boots, ready for her next shift she found Loretta and Sam in the lounge.

"Well, I'll catch you both tomorrow." She said as she stopped by the doorway. "What have you got planned for the evening?" Not sure why she was asking. If she had an evening she would have an early night! She rifled through her hand bag and dug for her car key while her eyes remained on Loretta and Sam.

"Telly and then an early night." Sam said and studied her carefully. He wasn't sure what to make of her. For a few weeks he thought she fancied Gray, but in recent weeks she seemed to have taken a more platonic approach. Ever since Caro parked her car in front of the gate.

"Sounds wonderful. Enjoy!" Regan mumbled, and meant every word. She smiled, happy that she found her key. With a wave she began to head out.

"Regan, wait a sec." Loretta got to her feet.