Part 86

He ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation, but his voice was firm and cool, "Yes, and you were in that situation because you were too bloody stubborn, too much pride and not enough food! And refused to have support until you were on the floor in a heap!" He left the hose facing the stalls and walked back to the tap, reached past her, flicked the switch, and turned in on, again.

"Refused support?" She hissed. "Refused who?" She took a step away, as his arm brushed against her chest as he reached for the tap to turn it on.

Having turn on the water, he quirked an eyebrow, defying her. "If you switch it off again, I will switch in on and I will direct the cold water in your direction!" She glared. With that unspoken agreement he turned around, and said, "Lucy said she and the family offered you a loan." He marched towards the hose that was twitching with the water. No doubt he would be drenched, reaching for the hose.

"Great, I will have words with her! I will not remain in debt." She mumbled.

He quickly sprayed the first three stalls, washing out the muck, moved on to the next stall. "Regan, I want you to listen to me! You need help with this farm!"

Calm rational thought fled. "Yes. I know that!"

"Good. Remember that!" He had moved to the next batch.

"And I hope you remembered you found a worker for me!" She snapped. He glanced around at her and rolled his eyes. Regan grated, "He will be starting to do the evening shift, remember." She declared angrily her eyes flashing.

He had reached the last stall. "Yes, in three days time! Not now." He watched her with a fair amount of wariness. "What is going on here, Regan?" He left the hose on the floor and moved back to the tap. Cool and calm he asked, "Why are you being so ornery?" He reached forward to stroke her shoulder. For some reason this approach was going down like a lead balloon. She was fuming, He could see it in her eyes. She was livid. Why?

Pushing his hand away with barely concealed indignation, she tossed at him "My nature!" Not helped by the fact you did not come here yesterday, her statement remained unspoken.

Standing a few inches away from her he snorted. "That is not true." Gray said bluntly, and turned off the tap and he flicked the switch.

She reiterated adamantly, "Fine. Good!" She folded her arms. "Please can you remember this is my farm." And took two steps away. Best to leave before her pent up frustration really erupts. "Thank you for finding and arranging the work situation for this farm."

He thought fast trying to work out why she was being so difficult. He was helping her. Anyone in her circumstances would appreciate the help. He needed to change tack given that had not registered with her that he was helping her, "Are you cross because I didn't find someone to do both shifts..."

"Of course not!"

"What is it then?" He watched her face carefully. Her expression was closed.

"Nothing." She looked away. She knew she was being difficult. Just because he did not show up yesterday. How do you explain that to anyone, without revealing her feelings for him?

He exhaled, "Regan, obvious, there is something..."

She folded her arms and looked at him and opted for a red herring. "You don't have the authority to work here!"

He blinked. Is she kidding? Need authority?

She ignored his stunned reaction. "You can't decide when you can work here. And you need my permission!"

He demanded, threw up his hands, "Fuck's sake." He muttered. "Why?"

"Because it is my farm!" Silently she continued; and you don't love me!