Chapter 25: You okay?

A/N: Here is the next one, Enjoy!!  -EmeraldLokiMalfoy

note: this chapter is set about a week after Chapter 24 (about 2 weeks away from his birthday) :)

Ever since the Flash incident Peter had been doing okay, or so he thought. The past week had been good, he had stayed on top of his schoolwork, Flash hadn't bothered him and he got to spend extra time in the lab with Tony since he finished work early. Life was great.

Well, life was great until Sunday night. That night was when the nightmares returned, whether they were about losing Tony or May blaming him for her death, they just wouldn't stop. Realistically, he knew that he could go to Tony, the man had expressed multiple times that everyone had nightmares it wasn't a weakness, but he wanted to overcome them. How was he meant to learn when he was being held back?

They had continued throughout the week and Peter found himself loosing more sleep than he cared to admit, everyday the shadows under his eyes seemed to grow darker.

When he arrived back at home on Friday he felt absolutely shattered, due to sleeping for only 3 hours in last 5 days and the amount of homework he had to do, keeping his eyes open seemed like the hardest thing in the world. He walked over to the sofa where Tony and Rhodey were and went to sit down next to them. "Hey bud." Tony said, ruffling the boys hair while continuing to talk to Rhodey. "Hmm.." he said back, curling around the throw pillow and closing his eyes.

"You seem tired, rough day?" the other man asked. Peter nodded tiredly and decided resting his eyes for one moment wouldn't hurt, however just as he was about to rest, an alarm started to ring loudly, hurting his sensitive ears. "Boss, there is an emergancey in Housten Street. Approximately 106 robots have attacked nearby pedestrians and they need the help of the Avengers, I strongly recommened you go and help." Friday announced over the siren.

Tony stood up and nodded at Rhodey, who left the room, most likely to gather the others, he then looked at Peter. "Listen, Pete, we need to go check this out so I want you to stay here alright? This could be really dangerous and I don't want you getting hurt." The boy started to protest and tried to get up but ended up stumbling into the coffe table. "No Peter, You're exhausted and you need sleep, it shouldn't take too long and Friday will keep you updated."

Eventually Peter nodded, not exactly happily, and sat back down as Tony left the room. A few minutes passed before the man came back in to say a quick goodbye before rushing back out, leaving Peter alone in the Tower.

***

Tony really didn't want to leave Peter alone, but it was either that or take him with him and he couldn't risk the boys health like that. Just seeing his eyes that held so much affection and trust, turn to despare in a matter of seconds made his gut twist, but it was what had to be done.

Just as the man was about to leave he decided to say a quick goodbye, although he was 99.9% sure nothing would happen to him, he wanted to see the kid one last time anyway. He saw Peter sat down with his eyes closed, resting back against the sofa, however his eyes opened when Tony walked over to him. "I'm gonna go now Pete, you stay safe okay?" he said, kissing his head and nuzzling his cheek affectionately into his curls.

"You too." came the reply, spoken so softly many would not hear it. Tony pulled away, giving the boy one last smile before leaving, silently praying the mission would go smoothly.

***

Once everyone had left, the Tower began to feel eerily silent, it was unnerving. It felt werid to be there when on one else was, Peter felt..almost out of place. Deciding the silence was too much, Peter grabbed the remote and turned on the TV, flipping over the channels until he came across a vaguely interesting one.