Chapter 48: I failed him.

A/N: Finally a decent chapter! I hope you enjoy this as we are coming to an end to this story soon but I do have exciting news so stayed tuned!! Also 7K reads WTF! I don't deserve you guys seriously <3

A day had passed.

And Peter still hadn't woken up.

Bruce had reminded him that it may be up to a week until he would wake up but Tony still worried, the longer he stayed unconscious the faster he grew concerned. Steve had visited a few times, mainly to check on Peter but wouldn't leave without having a quick conversation with Tony. Surprisingly the man had grown to enjoy Steve's company as crazy as it might sound.

"How is he?" Tony looked up to see Loki standing in the doorway. "He's alive." He replied, there had been no good news but neither any bad, it seemed that Peter was just...existing.

"If there's anything I can do-"

"There's nothing you can do, Loki. Bruce will try to find out what the hell he was injected with but other than that, it's up to Peter." The words only he can save himself went unspoken but not unheard.

"He will get through it."

Tony let out an emotionless laugh, void of any humor. "Funny, everyone keeps saying that but I'm starting to think that's what it is. A saying that won't come true."

"Stark don't say that-" Loki said, knowning full well the man would regret what he was saying later.

"I can say what I want. He is my son. My responsiblility, and I failed. Failed at being a father. But you know what's worse than all that? I failed him. And now he's suffering because I didn't think."

"Will you stop balming yourself!" Loki yelled, "This is not your fault, not everything is about you Tony, alright? Did you know Peter would be in danger on the trip? No. Did you know his teacher would be the one to do it? No. You didn't know. No one knew. We couldn't have stopped it if we tried."

There was a pause and Tony didn't say anything.

"But you know what we did do? We saved him, we saved Peter. And yes, he's lying in a hospital bed right now but I know that he can pull through. So you need to get it through your thick skull that he will be fine."

"You're right." Tony admitted.

"I'm always right." Tony smiled slightly and held Peter's hand.

***

Everything was dark. Everything was dark and quiet, he couldn't speak, couldn't hear, was he even seeing anything right now or were his eyes closed? Peter tried to move but he couldn't even see his body. He stayed quiet, or was he quiet? He couldn't hear so how would he know?

Then suddenly every sense came back to him. He could hear, he could see. Everything was still dark but he could distantly hear something.

A moment of listening told him it was a voice, it was distant and quiet but definitley there. "eter, I ove u, -tay rong."

He couldn't fully make out the words but he could still hear the voice, it sounded like...Tony. The boy wanted to speak, shout anything but his mouth wouldn't move. He panicked, he didn't know where he was and he couldn't see his Dad anywhere.

Without warning his eyes started to droop, he tried to keep them open but his body wouldn't let him. A few seconds later they fully shut and he was engulfed in more darkness.

***

"How is he?" Tony asked for probably the hundredth time in an hour.

"Like I said Tony, he's stable for now but once I figure out what drug he was injected with I will know for sure." Bruce explained, looking at different samples through microscopes.

"Hey, where are the others?"

"Oh, they went on a mission, only small so it shouldn't be too hard. I said to let you stay here."

"Oh, thanks." Tony said, glad that he didn't have to leave Peter's side, he really wasn't ready for that.

About an hour passed before the comfortable silence in the room was broken. Tony turned to check Peter's vitals when he noticed one of his hands was twitching, not hugely but there was something.

"Bruce look!" He pointed at the hand as the scientist came over to take a closer look.

"That's odd...but definitley not a bad thing."

Bruce took some notes and checked the machines again, his brow furrowing in confusion. "Hold on, I'll do some research, if anything changes get Friday to alert me." The man walked out.

Tony sat back and checked a few of his emails on his phone, looking back up at Peter very few moments to make sure everything was still running smoothly. He got through around half before Friday interrupted.

"Boss, the Avengers have just arrived back from their mission."

"Yes Friday, why are you telling me this?" He asked confused, Friday would only tell him if something bad had-

"Loki Odinson is injured."

A/N: Sorry this is so late my math revision took longer than I expected!! :( i hate maths