38-Breaking free

Pain explodes in my head as my hair is viciously pulled to the left. I hear some of it rip and when I look at Vox's hand there's a good clump of hair in it. This is the third time this week his pulled out hair.

I've been locked up here for about a week and a half now. Every day is the same, in the morning Vox comes, has his "fun", then leaves. At night I get one plate of venison if I "behave". Always before I can finish the chains pull me back so I'm never satisfied.

I've lost a significant amount of weight. Cuts and bruises litter my body. Dried blood coats my skin and clothes. I'm pretty sure there's some in my hair too. Fresh blood runs down my arms due to how tight the cuffs are and how much they've rubbed my wrists.

Vox finally leaves after giving me one last slap to the face. The lights go out and like always I'm in the dark once again.

It's been a whole week since my capture and I'm still no closer to getting out of here. Every night my shadow talks to me, trying to convince me to free it. And every night it gets harder and harder to disagree.

As I sit in the dark I can't help but feel that today is different. Something in my gut tells me that today something will happen, something bad.

I stretch out my aching legs as best I can. I situate myself in a semi comfortable position so I can focus.

Focusing my magic, I pour it all into breaking the chains that bind me. Nothing much happens, just a slight creek of the chains. "Come on." I grit my teeth and focus again. Once again my magic fails me.

Why do you subject yourself to this pain when a few simple words will set me free and end this nightmare you're living

I ignore my shadow and focus my magic once again.

Are you trying to prove something because the only thing you're proving is how badly you need me

I scream in rage as my focus is broken and my spell falls apart.

"You're really annoying you know that."

I'm just trying to help

"No you want to use me for your own desires."

My only interest has always been the best for you

"I suppose pissing off all the overlords and turning them against me was 'for the best'"

How many times must I tell you it wasn't me

"Who could it have possibly be? There hasn't been a single attack since I banished you."

That arc angel said it's death wouldn't go unpunished

"A dead angel getting revenge? My punishment for killing it? Laughable." I roll my eyes.

My shadow is about to respond when the door opens once again and the lights flood on. Valentino stands in the doorway this time.

Strange. He never comes down here anymore.

That gut feeling returns. Something very bad is about to happen.

"Doll you are a mess. That won't do." With a wave of his hand the pain in my skull lessens. I look down at my body only to see that majority of the cuts and bruises have healed, the blood has been cleaned up and a new, very revealing, outfit has been placed on me.

 I look down at my body only to see that majority of the cuts and bruises have healed, the blood has been cleaned up and a new, very revealing, outfit has been placed on me