7/ Stupid Mistake

Fred had just finished making some sandwiches that he passed on to his son and roommate, as he studied the last ones face. He knew he had been up for a long time with Alice after he went to sleep and if he wasn't mistaken, he had been happier the past few weeks. That could only mean one thing, couldn't it?

"Hey, you can Alice seem close, or am I seeing that wrong?" Fred decided to toss the ball, to see if FP would catch it.

"Yeah, guess we are. Why you ask?"

FP's eyes looked up at him curiously, as he didn't see where his question would come from. It was obvious that they liked hanging out with each other, thye didn't make a secret of that.

"Are you anything more than friends?" Fred asked carefully, looking at him from the corner of his eye as he cut his bread in little pieces.

FP putted down his glass of orange juice and frowned. Where was that coming from?

"Wait, what? No, we just like being around each other." He clarified and in that moment he was fully convinced that he was speaking the truth.

"You sure about that? She seems to have a positive effect on your mood." Fred tried again, to see if maybe he just needed a little eye opener.

Truth was, he would love for FP to find someone he had a connection with, especially since he hadn't been dating someone in such a long time. He was very protective over his best friend, but Alice would definitely be a good partner for him.

"Well, yeah. She does, but that is because we're friends." FP smiled a little and realized that Fred was right.

He had been feel better ever since the Smith family moved across the hall, he wouldn't deny that.

"Okay, if you say so, then I believe you." Fred grinned a little, but he'd let it slide for now.

"You're my friend too, but that doesn't mean I have feelings for you, Freddie." FP joked, elbowing him playfully.

"I was just asking." Fred defended himself with a smile on his face and shared a look with Archie that said it all. They were thinking the exact same thing.

"Alright, I was going over there anyway, see if she's up for another Pop's milkshake." FP at the last part of his sandwich and chugged his orange juice.

He hopped off his barstool and walked over to the coatrack to grab his jacket. Fred and Archie kept watching him, until the front door closed and they were left alone.

"He likes her doesn't he?" Archie asked his father, a knowing look on his face. Even he could see that something sparked in his eyes when he was around Alice.

"Oh definitely. But he has no clue." Fred smiled at his son before he look at the spot where FP had just left.

There would come a moment where he'd realize that he was falling for the woman across the hall, but Fred would give him the time to discover that on his own.

**

Alice had just finished breakfast as she heard a knock on the door. It was ten in the morning. She wasn't expecting anyone, but there was always a chance that either Fred or FP stopped by for a cup of coffee.

She walked over to the door and opened it, but looked into the eyes of the last person she'd expect seeing standing in the hallway.

"Hal? What are you doing here?"

Her ex-husband was standing in front of her, an innocent look plastered over his face. He was silent for a bit and only looked at her before he finally spoke up.