11/ A Dark Day

TW: Mention of manic depression

"Morning neighbor!" Alice walked into the apartment across the hall.

It had been a more regular occasion to walk in and check up on one another. She had made scones this morning that she had promised to bring to Fred and FP as well.

"Hey, Alice. You want a cup of coffee?" Fred greeted her, and already poured her a mug even though she hadn't answered yet.

"I'd never refuse that." Alice smiled, the coffee lover in her taking over.

"Isn't FP joining you for breakfast?" She looked around the apartment, but hadn't noticed him yet. Which was a little strange, considering Fred and FP worked together and always left at the same time.

"No, I don't think he is today." Fred said a little absentmindedly. He wanted to change the subject as soon as possible, but Alice wasn't going to let it go so easily.

"Why not? That man loves to eat." She sounded a little confused, but Fred couldn't tell her the real reason why FP wasn't up yet. That wasn't his place to tell and so he would keep his mouth shut.

"He's just sleeping in today, he might eat a little later." Fred smiled a little uneasy, hoping that it'd be enough to stop her from asking questions. However, his strange behavior was only making Alice more suspicious.

"Is everything alright? You're acting a bit weird. Is something wrong with FP?" She asked him worriedly, as apparently there was something that Fred couldn't tell her, while it was enough reason for him to not appear at breakfast.

"Don't worry, Alice. He's just a little under the weather." Fred cleared up.

Technically, that wasn't a lie. He wasn't a fan of keeping secrets from friends, but if FP wanted to tell her that should be his own choice.

"You could have told me that. Flu season is coming, I'm not surprised." Alice seemed to buy it, to Fred's big relief. He wasn't sure what to tell her anymore.

"Anyway, do you have a busy day?" She changed the subject as she didn't question FP's well-being anymore.

"Not really, I just have to pick up some stuff out of town for a project we're starting soon. How about you?" Fred returned the question as she grabbed one of the scones she had brought him, and putted some jam in the middle.

"Just the twelve o' clock broadcast." She answered. Though she loved work, it was nice to be able at home around dinner so she could eat with her children.

"My radio we'll be on." Fred grinned, taking a bite from the scone.

"You're my biggest fan, aren't you?" Alice teased with a smug smile on her face.

"Definitely. You don't think you accidentally moved across the hall of me, right? It's all a conspiracy because I am such a big fan." Fred said with a straight face, but gave her a wink when he couldn't stop himself from smiling.

"In that case, you're my first stalker!" Alice beamed sarcastically, adding up to the joke.

"I feel honored." Fred exaggerated and placed his hand on his heart.

**

Ever since Alice had come home, she had focused on making her famous chicken noodle soup that always used to make her daughters feel better when they weren't feeling well. If FP was getting sick then the least she could do was bring him some.

She used her spare key to come into the apartment, and walked over with the bowl in her hands to the farthest bedroom and knocked softly.

"Yeah?" A muffled sound came from behind the door. Alice slowly poked her head into the room.