15/ A Night Under The Stars

"Hey, FP. You busy?" Alice's head poked into the apartment across of hers.

He looked up confused. He hadn't expected her to stop by after what he had heard a few days ago. They hadn't really spoken about it, which for now was more than fine. FP understood that she had bigger things to worry about.

"Not really. Why?" He answered a little absentmindedly as he focused back on his sketch for one of their clients, to avoid looking at her. The deadline wasn't due for another few weeks, he just liked to be prepared on time.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go to the movies? I could use a little distraction." Alice smiled weakly.

It wasn't easy for her to admit that she wasn't doing so great, but she felt comfortable enough to be honest with him. And truth was? The only one she wanted to get some air with was FP, at this moment.

"I'm not sure, Al..." FP sighed a little, mostly frustrated with himself. He didn't believe it was a great idea to go out with her as if nothing had happened.

Alice didn't exactly follow why he was suddenly hesitating, especially not after they had such an amazing date. What she had said to Polly didn't change anything, did it? Had he even heard that? However, this wasn't about them. She just needed a friend tonight.

"Maybe just a walk in the park then? Please?" Her eyes begged, and when he looked at her he just couldn't refuse.

She needed someone, and he was going to be there for her no matter how bad he had felt the past few days. Besides, it was already dark outside and he needed a break from work. It was good for him as well to take a walk.

"Sure, I'll come with you." He smiled slightly, and stood up from his chair to grab his coat and follow her outside.

Maybe he had assumed the worst, maybe he shouldn't have been so hard on her. After all she was a friend, and he wanted to support her the way she would support him.

**

They kept walking in the park in complete silence, as if both of them were afraid to break it. Though, Alice could feel that most of the tension was coming from his side. She wanted to talk, but was scared there was something going on that she had no idea about.

"Did I say something wrong? You have been a little distant the past week." Alice said silently, her voice trembling slightly from both her nerves and the cold.

"Oh, no. It's nothing." FP brushed it off, giving her an unconvincing smile, no matter how hard he tried to make it believable.

For a second he had hesitated to actually tell her what was bothering him, but decided against it as he didn't want to load all his insecurities on her. She invited him because she needed a distraction, not a serious conversation about what was happening between them.

"Okay... good. Because if there is, you'd tell me, right?" Alice tried, giving him another opening to tell her what was going on.

By now she knew better than to believe him when she clearly saw that something was off.

"Definitely." He said a little but more believeable this time.

However, he changed the subject not only because it was making him uncomfortable, but because she had been upset about her daughter running away.

"Did you hear anything from Polly yet?"

Alice sighed quietly, her eyes filling with tears. "Not a word. But I talked to Hal and he told me I should give her some time. That wasn't really a pleasant conversation either."