36/ Going Away

FP felt like this was the thousandth goodbye party they had thrown for him in a matter of a year. Although he wasn't leaving forever, it still made him feel uneasy to be in the center of attention, even if it was only a small get together.

Technically he even came back every four weeks for a long weekend, so it didn't feel necessary to throw a party. However, Fred was so proud of him that he had done it anyway, so it was more so to celebrate this new project than to say goodbye to him for leaving to the west coast.

Alice had just grabbed a piece of cake when he came to stand behind her after he had studied her face with a frown. She had told him she was totally fine with him taking the job, but part of him told him that it was simply untrue.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you... are you really okay with all this? Cause if not, I can blow it off now." He said softly, as he rubbed her back.

Honestly, he wasn't even sure whether he was asking more for her or himself. Maybe he wasn't so sure about leaving either. But he had agreed, and he didn't want to let Fred down either.

"Are you crazy? Of course I am okay. I'm insanely proud of you." Alice turned around in his arms and shot him one of her signature smiles before she pecked a kiss on his lips.

"Alright.... I'll believe you then." FP smiled a little unconvinced, which didn't went unnoticed by Alice. The one thing she didn't realize that the frown on his face wasn't just meant for her— it was his own doubt as well.

"Honey, it's true. Don't you worry, okay? My beautiful man is going to LA and we're celebrating that. Come, have some cake." She handed him over the piece she had cut for herself and wrapped her arms around his waist to keep him close.

The only thing that actually made him want to go was the way she was so supportive of his dreams. He wasn't only trying this for himself and for Fred, but for Alice too. No partner had ever encouraged him the way she did.

**

After the small get together, FP was collecting his bags to take downstairs. Alice was driving him to the airport, but he'd say goodbye to everyone else down in the lobby. This had been his own request, as he didn't want to make a big deal out of it. In his own words, he was coming back for a weekend in a few weeks anyway.

"How are you doing Mom?" Polly asked softly, as FP was downstairs with Fred to put his stuff in the truck.

She had read the look on her face and understood exactly what it meant. After all she felt like she needed to ask after her mother had broken down because she didn't want her boyfriend to leave.

"Besides that it feels like someone is trying to rip my heart out of my chest, absolutely delightful." She sighed sarcastically, rubbing her temples as she did.

"You still haven't told him?" Polly asked confused, figuring that since their relationship seemed so strong and solid, she would have.

"No, and I am not going to. End of discussion." Alice warned her daughter, knowing that she might be able to throw her under the buss in front of FP, which was the last thing she wanted.

Polly laid it to rest, but her stomach twisted by the idea of her mother being so unhappy, especially after she had seen her glow the past few months, which was all thanks to FP. However, this wasn't her relationship and she wasn't going to meddle if her mother didn't want her to.

**

Everyone gathered around in the lobby. The sun had set a few hours ago and the sky was bright with stars. Though, everyone's heart felt a little heavy knowing that FP was going to be far less home than they used to be.