35/ Taking Chances

Fred walked into the office at the construction site, where FP was busy started the newest sketch of a project they'd start on the Northside of town.

"FP, could I talk to you for a sec?" asked Fred, snapping him out of his concentration.

"Yeah, shoot. I'm listening." FP putted his pencil down and turned his attention to his friend.

"You know about the contact I had with a client in Los Angeles, right?" He started out, as he took the seat opposite of FP.

"You mentioned it last week, I remember." recalled FP. It was a big opportunity for the firm and at the same time a big challenge.

"We've got the project. We're leading it." grinned Fred, finally getting to the point.

"Seriously? That's amazing!" said FP happily. This was a huge deal for Fred and he was proud of his brother for sealing this deal.

However, that wasn't the only news Fred wanted to bring. He had been thinking a lot about this, but there was a position he really wanted for FP to consider.

"I want you to be our projectleader. I think you're ready again, don't you?" Fred shot him a smile. A year ago it would have been too much, but with how far he had come he felt confident in his choice to offer FP this job.

"Woah, really? You'd trust me with that?" His voice was soft and even a little confused, mostly because he wasn't sure whether he had done the same in his shoes.

"Absolutely. You're my best front man." Fred knew that FP was going to be insecure about this, but even with an unbiased perspective, FP was his best drawer and leader. He got work done like nobody else does.

However, there was a condition for the job that was worth thinking about, before he'd agree of doing the project. His smile faded a little.

"Only thing is... it's for a year. So, it's a big decision. I respect it if you turn it down but I didn't want to pass it down to someone else without consulting you as my first choice."

It was the main reason why Fred hadn't been sure to ask FP or not. Moving away for so long was a big decision, especially now he was in a steady relationship. He knew how much FP valued Riverdale and his comfort zone, but he wouldn't forgive himself for not offering him this job first, in case he might make the wrong assumptions. He needed for FP to know how much faith he had in him.

"That's an amazing opportunity, Fred. But you're right, I've got to think about it." FP frowned a little.

This was such a big deal for him, especially after not being able to get a job after so long... but moving away for a year and barely being home at the east coast? That was going to be difficult.

"I don't want to push you out of your comfort zone, but if you want it, it's yours. If not, that's fine too." assured Fred, who didn't want to put pressure on him in any way. His company was full of talented people, sending someone else wouldn't be a problem.

"I guess I've got to talk to Alice about this." said FP out loud, realizing that if he would choose to take the job, it'd have consequences for his relationship.

**

FP had been pricking his food the second after Fred has putted the plate in front of him. He hadn't been able to concentrate ever since the offer he got this morning. He was anxious to share the news and just couldn't wait till after dinner.

"I—uh, I wanted to share something with you." He started out, carefully. His hand trembled slightly.

Three pair of eyes looked at him curiously, waiting for him to proceed.