45/ Love You More

FP carefully knocked on the door of their hotelroom, before slowly entering. She was standing with her back towards him as she was fighting against her tears. Her father had upset her, but she wasn't sure she wanted to show how much it had hurt her for him to act this way. This wasn't how she knew him.

"Hey, are you alright?" He asked her softly as he slowly walked her way, not wanting to overstep.

By her body language he could see that the emotions were building up in her. He didn't have to see her eyes for that. Alice turned around on her heels to face him. After all, she wasn't mad at him. Her eyes were teary, but she didn't want for FP to focus on her. This was about him and how he felt.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you? Why aren't you upset?" She asked as a huff escaped her lips.

If she was feeling horrible, how should FP even feel right now? He exhaled slowly as he tried to relax and walked her way until he was right in front of her. His arms snaked around her waist, an urge to keep her close no matter what. His hands strokes up and down her back to calm her down.

"Babe, he's not the first one to challenge me. I got used to it. It's fine." He whispered, assuring her that it was all okay. Of course, the attack from Jack on his alcoholism had stung. It stung real bad. But there was a feeling that was way stronger than all the hurt.

"No, it's not fine. You shouldn't have to deal with that." She argued fiercely with him as she couldn't understand why FP was so calm right now.

It suited him that he was willing to look past it, to pretend that it wasn't a big deal, but she wouldn't let someone so close to her poke him right where it hurt. Not today, not ever.

"Doesn't every father like to get under the skin of his future son in law?" He questioned, which to him could be a reason why he brought up a touchy subject.

Alice shook her head and took a few steps away. This wasn't just about wanting to test her soon to be husband. She nervously started to pace around the room. Even if FP wasn't mad, her father still crossed a line.

"I'm not seventeen anymore and my dad is a grown man. I've talked about this to him, and yet he pulls this? At this point I don't even want him to come to our wedding." She poked her tongue into her cheek and shook her head as her tears were ready to fall.

Her father was everything to her, but if he couldn't accept that she was with FP and the baggage he had, then maybe it wasn't a good idea for him to be there.

"Hey, don't say that. You know you want him there." Once again he walked over to her, but before he could even hold her, she snapped.

"Why are you defending him? He insulted you!" She exclaimed, her first tear falling from her cheek. FP took a breath and took his final steps to be right in front of her, knowing that she needed to be calmed down. He took her hands in his own.

"He did, and I have to admit that I am not his biggest fan right now. But Al, you have to know... after all I've been through I've kind of learned how to ignore everyone's opinion of me." He said softly, squeezing her hands as she spoke to her. Alice breathed out a little.

It had been a long road, but he knew that everyone had made up his mind about him as soon as they heard about his past and how that still impacted his present. He didn't have a lot people around him who didn't judge him, but tried to help him instead.

"Besides... I am marrying you, not your Dad. What you think of me matters. You stood up for me against the man who raised you. That moment downstairs only showed me how much you love me. It only makes me want to marry you more." His hands landed on her waist as she smiled sweetly at the woman he loved so deeply.