26/ Home

Around ten in the morning, Alice and FP were having breakfast at the Andrews household. He was already dressed in his work clothes and only needed a few more minutes to be ready to leave.

Fred was at work  already, preparing their first meeting of that day. Alice had been the only one to sleep in today, as it was her day off. They ate in silence, until there was a knock that caught their attention.

"Al, could you get the door?" FP asked, as he focused back on making another stash of French toast for her to eat after he'd left.

With a little jump the woman opened the entrance to the apartment, surprised to see the beanie that slowly began to be familiar to her.

"Jughead? Hey, come on in." She smiled kindly and took a step aside to welcome him.

"Boy? What are you doing here?" FP perked up happily and immediately turned down the heat to come and greet his son.

"I hope I am welcoming to stay here for a while." Jughead smiled a little brighter when he saw how glad his Dad was to see him.

"You always are, you know that. Did something happen? Should I be worried?" FP rambled, his concern growing once he realized that maybe he had walked away from home.

"No, not necessarily." The boy tried to ease him, but it wasn't helping at all.

"That doesn't make me any less anxious."

Alice squeezed her boyfriend's arms and decided to first let the boy breath for a second, which he could do with offering him a hot beverage. She could read on his face that all was fine.

"Would you like some coffee, Jughead? You must have had a long trip." She didn't wait for an answer but immediately poured him some in a mug.

"That sounds great, Alice. Thanks." Jughead smiled gratefully. He was indeed tired of his trip, and the third degree wasn't helping on the early morning.

"Why isn't your sister with you? She is mad at me, isn't she?" FP continued with what felt like an interrogation, but truth was he was just very worried.

"She's not mad, Dad. Trust me, she's very eager to meet Alice. It just wasn't possible with school and all for her to come with me." Jughead placed his hand on his father's shoulder and send him a soft smile.

"You sure about that?" FP couldn't relax, not after years of having a daughter to pretend he didn't exist. What if she had changed her mind and decided to hate him again?

"Honey, I think you should trust Jughead on this one." Alice reassured him, and made FP look at her by turning his chin her way with her finger.

"Sorry, I just—" FP wanted to apologize, but Alice noticed he was going to ramble again.

"It's okay." She kissed his cheek softly while he breathed out.

Jughead noticed the little moment between the two and realized what kind of calming effect she had on him. It was unlike anything he had ever seen before, especially not between his parents.

"I stopped by because I missed you. And I was kinda done with being in the same house as Mom." Jughead explained his visit, to make sure his Dad would know that it was nothing more and nothing less.

"You missed me?" FP asked hopeful, his voice filled with a little confusion and disbelief.

"Yeah, like crazy." Jughead smiled. Although, it wasn't the whole story.

"Truth is, when I was here almost three months ago... I hadn't felt that happy in a very long time. When I had to go it felt like leaving home behind." His cheeks flushed a little, since he wasn't usually someone to open up about his emotions.