40/ Like It Used To Be

Archie enjoyed the fresh rays of sunshine on his face as he was eating his breakfast. They had a cold winter with not as much sun as everyone hoped they would, which why a day like today felt like a present.

"What do you think of all going to Sweetwater River today? The sun is finally out." He suddenly proposed, after turning his head away from the window.

"It's March, it's way too cold to swim." FP pointed out, assuming that is what his plans were. It might look warm outside, the water would still be as cold as ice.

"I never said we should get swimming. What about a picnic?" Archie looked around the room and saw some agreeing faces, including the one of his girlfriend.

"Sounds good, Arch. I'll go make some sandwiches to take with us." smiled Fred, who was looking forward to spend an afternoon with his friends and family.

"Do you have some cookies that we could take as snack, Alice?" He turned to his friend, hoping that she could take something as well.

Alice got snapped out of her thoughts and cleared her throat uncomfortably.

"Uh, I don't know... maybe I should stay here, to be there for Polly." She blushed slightly, betraying that she was trying to get out of it. However, Betty wasn't picking up on that yet.

"Mom, she has Noah and they have been alone before.It's nothing new. Remember that they have been visiting Grandpa for two weeks? They can handle a day without you, they do it when you're at work, too." She reasoned with her, as she didn't understand why she didn't want to leave them alone for a few hours.

"But still... I'd like to be there just in case." She argued, not wanting to give in. This was already hard enough, she didn't want to have to explain the real reason why she didn't want to join them.

Fred sighed. He knew exactly what this was about and he was done pretending that everything was fine. If FP and Alice didn't want for both their families to get caught up between wherever their relationship was standing now, they needed to talk.

"Alright, there is an elephant in the room and we need to talk about it." He putted down his fork and gave Alice a stern look.

"Fred, it's fine. I don't want to." She brushed it off, as she focused back on her coffee mug and averted her gaze from him.

Suddenly, there went off an alarm in FP's head. What Fred was referring to was about him.

"Wait, is this about me? Don't you want to be around me?" He asked her, both a little confused and hurt. Sure, their relationship was difficult right now, but did she really want to avoid him?

"I'm just not in the mood for a picnic, okay?" She defended herself a little harsh.

"I'm not blind, Alice. Just be honest." FP raised his voice as well, his emotions taking over him.

Alice sighed and poked her tongue into her cheek as she shook her head. He wanted the truth? Then he was getting it.

"Fine, I find it difficult to be around you, now happy?!" She shouted as she stood up from her chair.

"Alright, we'll leave you two alone. You know where to find us." Fred knew that it was a smart choice to get out of there as soon a possible, before they would get caught up in this fight.

FP bit his cheek as he watched Fred, Archie and Betty putting on their jackets to leave the apartment with uncomfortable looks on their faces. Fortunately for him, he could try and take a breathe in that very minute.

"Alice, why don't you want to be around me?" He asked, softer this time to tell her he didn't want to fight with her.

"Don't you understand?" She gasped out, almost in utter disbelief. How could he not feel the exact same way?