Chapter 07

"How's school, Kirsch?" Dad asked while we're having dinner.

"Fine, dad. Medyo nakakapagod lang kasi we had Biostat and Biophy just for today."

"Were those two subjects that hard?"

"Yeah, and you know that physics and I were not good friends," I even rolled my eyes to make my point and he laughed at my gesture. Mom was just sitting there, smiling while silently eating.

"How 'bout you, love? How's your day?" he looked at mom, holds her hand, and smiled at her. Mom did the same thing and I can't help but to smile as well.

"It's fine. Nothing really happened here. I just cleaned the house and listen to some songs for our baby," and she caressed her tummy.

"Wag magpapakapagod ah." And he kissed mom's forehead. "And for you my little bud, be good to mommy, okay? Be healthy in there and we all can't wait to have you." Dad gave me a glanced and I smiled at what he said and turned to look at mommy's tummy.

"Ah Gus, kelan tayo pupunta ng OB?" Mom asked.

"Oh yeah, I'll call our OB tonight and schedule your check-up this weekend. You want to come with us, Kirsh?" I straightened my back upon hearing dad's question.

I'm honestly thrilled to be with them and see little bud but then I looked at Mom and she seems uncomfortable about the idea. Oh.

I cleared my throat and looked at dad.

"Uhm, dad, I have this school project that I need to do this weekend. I'll pass." And I put on a disappointed smile to make it believable.

"You sure? I know you're excited with this kind of thing. C'mon maybe you can spare an hour or two." Pangungulit pa sakin ni dad.

"Nah, just show me the ultrasound copy, dad. And I don't want to be third wheeling with you two lovey doves." Umakto pa ko na parang nandidiri sakanilang dalawa and he just laughed about it but he has this soft expression on his face.

"Since when did you become a third wheel to us? You're our baby girl, Kirsh. And you're our first princess. You'll never be a third wheel, always remember that, okay?" he said as he holds my hand as to assure me.

"Of course, dad. I was just joking but seriously enjoy the weekend, 'kay? Just buy me some pizza."

"Sure thing, anak. Yun lang ba talaga gusto mo?" paninigurado niya pa

"Dad! Yun lang. I'll go na." and wiped my mouth before I stand up. "Good night to you all and to you little bud. Love you." I kissed both of them good night kahit medyo nag-alangan pa ko nung kay Mommy na.

"Good night, Kirsh. Love you, baby," Dad said and I just smiled sweetly at him.

Before I can even leave the dining room narinig ko pa si dad na tumawag sa OB.

I've been looking forward to that; visiting the OB-GYN. I was imagining lots of things and I even pictured all of us smiling while looking at the screen where we'll see the baby. Mom might even cry while Dad is holding her hand. But I guess that'll just stay inside my head. I understand how my Mom feels; she's being precautious. Dalawang beses na rin kasi.

I can't blame her. If I were in her shoes maybe I'll do the same. She's a mother and that's her instinct working. Maybe she's just scared that she'll lose her baby, again. I'll just give her some space and make her feel at ease with my presence. I think I just need to contain my excitement in me.

"So, Germ Plasm Theory of August Weismann stated that hereditary material, the germ plasm, is confined to the gonads. And somatic cells develop afresh in each generation from the germ plasm," said Ms. Ivy, our Developmental Biology prof.