Playground Reading

Talon gets a good look at my book selections after we get home. As soon as my bag hits his bedroom floor, he picks it up and spills its contents on his bed. Outside of the books, there's a binder and a couple of notebooks. He places them back in the bag carefully, and zips it shut.

He has so many questions. I can tell just by looking at the way he studies each of them with great caution. After a few minutes, he speaks.

"Why? You don't even want a relationship."

I shrug. "I know. Being in one and reading about happy endings aren't the same thing."

"Isn't that what everyone wants? In one way or another, we all want a happy ending."

I suppose he's right. I'm not sure I'll ever get my happy ending. Or maybe I will. It depends on if we're talking about life or hockey.

"I agree with you. My happy ending is the NHL. I don't need people to make me happy. Outside of you and my parents, of course."

He smiles. "I make you happy?"

I doubt he'll ever know just how much. "Yeah. Yeah, you do."

"You make me happy, too."

My face feels like it's on fire.

"Can I borrow this one? I'll give it back so you can read it before it's due."

His choice is surprising, to say the least. He selects Autoboyography, the only LGBT+ book in the pile. I let him take it without an objection, but I'm left wondering.

Throughout the night, the room is silent. We're reading, something we've never done together, and sitting dangerously close.

I'm reading, but not really. My mind is more focused on the proximity of Talon's body and mine.

We're interrupted when his mom opens the door and tells us dinner is downstairs. I hadn't meant to stay for dinner, but she insisted.

The conversation at the table is mostly centered around hockey. I don't really like talking about how I'm playing outside of interviews, but Talon's parents are too nice for me to say anything. His mom made spaghetti, and I realize how much I miss family dinners.

After Talon and I do the dishes, we watch a game from the floor in his living room.

We're screaming and yelling so loud his mom asks us to chill out. We share a laugh before sitting down on the couch. Sometime around the start of the 3rd period, Talon's feet find my lap. We don't acknowledge it, but it's all I think about for the remainder of the game.

I decide I should sleep in my own bed tonight, so I let myself in my own front door. The house in dark, and the driveway is empty. Mom and Dad must be working late again, but that's not far from normal now.

I try to fall asleep for about an hour, but realize its futile if I keep tossing and turning. There's no indication my parents will be home soon, so I take a walk. I end up wandering the neighborhood, before stumbling upon the park I used to visit almost daily as a kid.

There's someone swaying back and forth on the swings, and I can only tell because of the squeaking caused by the aging of the metal. I trigger the light in the middle of the playground, and only then do I realize the figure is none other than Talon.

I spook him, because hew turns around with a jerk. I receive a small smile and a head bob. Taking a seat next to him, I sigh.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, of course."

I'm not.

"I know you're under a lot of stress."

I snap back more harshly than I mean to. "Understatement of the year."

Talon laughs and I can see him face through the light for just a moment.

"Seriously, H, how are you?"

My voice sounds strained, raw. "I don't know."

By the time my brain registers what is unfolding, Talon has me standing up, wrapped in his arms. His voice is barely above a whisper. "Tell me how I can help."

"I wish my sister was alive."

I've never told anyone that. Somehow, I don't regret it.

"I wish she was, too."

I don't know if he says that for himself or me. It's no secret that when she died, he was devastated. I lost a sister, but he lost a friend.

We hug in silence for a moment before I clear my throat. "How long do we hug until it becomes weird?"

"As long as you want, Hunter."

I squeeze him hard and a single tear falls down my cheek. "God, I miss her."

He wipes away the tear on my cheek, and nods.

I pull away, and suggest we go home. We walk side by side, and I can't help but wonder. Why was Talon at the park tonight?

My curiosity gets the best of me. "Why were you at the park?"

"I'm not sleeping much lately. "

I don't press him any further.

My parents are home when we get back.

"You coming in? I'll take care of the bad guys in your dreams, T."

"My knight in shining armor. What would I ever do without you?"

He follows me inside and up the stairs, where we fall asleep listening to the wind against my window.

A/N: Long time, no see. Sorry, I've been busy. I hope everyone is staying safe!!