Lazy Sunday

Nothing happens besides kissing. I'm a little disappointed, but I've never been more confused in my whole life. I leave after he falls asleep, just after midnight.

I want to scream. I want to cry. I want to be myself.

So, I do.

I'm sure my parents know I'm with Talon, but I head towards the cemetery. Some sister time should do me well.

The darkness of night doesn't bother me. There's a few street lights illuminating the main part of the cemetery, but Hannah is in the corner.

"Hey, Han. I'm sorry I haven't been around. Life has been busy, and complicated, lately."

I take a deep breath to stop the tears from forming.

It fails.

I'm paranoid that someone will overhear me even though I'm in a cemetery on a Saturday night, so I talk to Hannah inside my head. After I've worked out all the details, I voice my need for advice.

"What do I do?"

I already know the answer, and I prepare myself for the worst.

Unlike in the past, I use the front door to enter the house. The light in my parents' bedroom turns on when I close the door.

Dad peaks around the corner from the hallway. "Hunter? Where have you been?"

The lights shine in my eyes and it takes a moment to adjust. "The cemetery. Is Mom awake?"

She comes out from behind the wall and rubs her eyes. "Yes, I'm up."

My expression falters. "We need to talk."

"Can it wait until morning?" They've both had a long day, judging by their posture.

The confidence I had a moment ago has disappeared. "Yeah, of course. Let's go to bed."

They retreat back into their room. I go upstairs, but don't fall asleep until the sun peaks up across the horizon.

It's just past eleven when I wake up. The car is gone, so Mom and Dad must be at church. That's not so comforting.

To my surprise, Talon is sitting at my kitchen table, Hershey at his feet. "Good morning, sunshine."

I groan. "It's Sunday. Why are you here?"

"Didn't feel like hearing the word of God today. I'm sure you can imagine why."
I totally understand where he's coming from. "Mhm. So, bisexuality?"

He rolls his eyes. "You have me all fucked up, H."

I laugh. "The feeling is mutual."

"So, what the hell is this?"

I have no idea. "Whatever you want it to be."

"You're not out to your parents."

He has a point. "That's my issue, not yours."

"I know. I'm just worried about you."

I laugh at him. "I could say the same thing about you. Those texts weren't the nicest."

"You've got me there. But, at least they know."

I put my hands up in defense. "I'll work on it, I promise."

He nods.

"I need coffee."

He looks up at me from his own cup. "There's about half a pot left."

I help myself and sit across from him at the table. There's a silence, but it's comfortable.

"You don't have to, if you don't want to."

I feel like an idiot. "What are you even talking about?"

"Coming out to your parents. You shouldn't feel pressured. I'm sorry if I made you feel that way."

"Seriously? You're fine with hiding something like this?" I'm staring at him with wide eyes, but he's as calm as could be.

"Yes, Hunter. We'll be hiding regardless. What are two more people?"

He's right. I run the risk of getting caught, but I'm not ready to tell them. "So, what now?"

"I get to kiss you until they get back."

He does. It's magical. We're playing video games upstairs when my parents get home around one.

My mom yells up at us. "We missed you at church, boys!"

Talon answers for both of us. "We missed you too, Mrs. Flynn."

"There's food on the table!"
That gets us down the stairs in a hurry.

Mom looks at me while I take the first bite of my burger. "Are you okay here if we go to brunch with the Tuckers?"

Rolling my eyes, I say, "Yes, Mom. I'm almost eighteen, I can stay home by myself. Chances are Talon isn't going anywhere, anyway."

I point to him sitting on the couch with my dad, where a Lightning game has started.

Mom kisses my forehead and replies, "I'm glad you two are still so close after everything."

I want to tell her she's too accurate for her own good, but I'm scared. She walks off to join them on the couch, and I follow.

"Come on, honey. Let's leave the boys to their game. We'll be late if we don't leave now."

Dad gets up off the couch, and Mom looks back at me. "I'm not sure when we'll be home."

I shrug. "Take your time, I'll be here when you get back."

We don't really watch the game. It basically serves as background noise. Talon is on my lap, kissing me, and I'm trying to get his shirt over his head. He pulls back for just a second, and my hands meet his bare skin. It's warm.

"Are we together? Like, are you my boyfriend?"

I look up at him. "I mean, I'd like that."

He kisses my nose. "I'd like that too."

"Your skin is warm."

"It's cold in here."

Talon is looking around the room for something. "What's up?"

"Nothing."

"Your shirt is on the floor."

He gets up and slips his shirt over his head, along with a blanket from the closet. He sits next to me and lays his head on my shoulder. I put my arm around him and breathe in the scent of his hair. He smells like spring.

Soon after, his breath is deep and slow. I watch the rest of the game in silence.