Chapter Twelve

It was Friday and today was the date that I asked Haley out in front of the entire college campus six years ago and also a month ago today I was waiting for my beautiful wife to walk down to aisle so we could spend the rest of our lives together. I left a dress on Haley’s bed with the heels that I like on her; she had time to get dressed while I was at work trying to produce this new band.

I walked in the door putting my stuff down hoping Haley was getting dressed or is dressed so I could get ready and then I can take her out.  

“Haley”

“I’m just in the bedroom getting dressed hang on”! she shouted

“Alright” I said taking a seat; I waited for her to come out and about five minutes later I heard Haley calling my name saying it quietly. I lifted my head up seeing Haley wearing a beautiful light purple dress that stop just above her knees and wearing her black high heel shoes that I got her for her birthday last year. She was absolutely breathtaking I got up walking over to her

“You look gorgeous and just wow” I said

“Well thank you for buying me this dress it’s beautiful” she told me

“Alright well I quickly need to get dress but in the mean time I have another present I left in the kitchen on the bench” I said running down the hall into the bedroom to get dressed.

 - - -

When I walked out I was trying to fix my tie but Haley always did it for me, I walked into the kitchen seeing Haley looking at the card and the flowers by her side.

“Haley” she looked up at me rolling her eyes “I’m guessing you can’t do your tie and I use to do it for you”

“Every wedding, every award show, every formal event you did” I said, she walked over fixing my tie up while she was doing that I just stared at her seeing a piece of hair falling out of place. I placed the lose hair putting it behind her ear and just wanted to kiss her but I couldn’t since I didn’t know how she felt about me at this point.

 - - -

I pulled up outside a garden restaurant and notice Haley looking at it

“This is your favourite place to come for a date and it’s our thing to do this every month for a date” I said getting out of the car running around and helping Haley out of the car I shut the door behind her linking arms as we walked into the restaurant.

“So is tonight a night were you tell me facts about myself and our relationship”

“Well you said you wanted to get to know me more and wanted to know what you’ve been doing for the past couple of years so why not”

“Alright” she said getting out of the car. Haley linked arms with me which was surprising, I saw the manager walking towards us.

“Ah my two favourite people, is it that time of the month again”? He asked

“Yes well it’s one month since our wedding and our six year anniversary of being together” 

“Confusing but that sounds like you’re wife; gosh I remember the first time you two walked through those days and red head here was about to pee his pants and sweat through his shirt” the manager said laughing at himself soon walking us to our table that we always sit in. “I will get you two wine and get your waiter”

“Thank you” I said, he walked off and Haley was looking around at the restaurant

“So why were you about to pee your pants and sweat through your shirt”? Haley asked her full attention on me.

“This is where I proposed to you which also was the first night this manager started but we’ve been here more times than him”

“This is such a cute little restaurant” she said; the manager came back over with the bottle of wine and two glasses already poured for us.

“Enjoy” he said walking off, I picked up one glass handing it to Haley and grabbed my glass and I smiled at my beautiful wife and Haley said

“Even though I don’t remember these past six years that I’ve spent with you I just still want to make a toast to us” she said smiling as we clink glasses together.

 - - -

Haley and I decided to ditch the car for a while and we walked around London getting ice cream like it was old times again.

“So when I first started in college how did we meet”? She asked; just thinking back to that day meeting her was one of the best days of my life.

“Well I was helping Ashton out sorting the freshmen out and once I was done I went looking for Ashton; I heard his loud voice and then I ended up in your room followed by Paige’s room as well and when I saw you I don’t know how to explain it” I said looking down at the ground putting my hands in my pocket but I felt Haley’s hand grabbing my hand and intertwining it with mine.  

“I like you Clifford, to me this is like a first date but you are such a sweet guy and I think I did the right choice getting married to you but I’m still getting use to this” she said

“It’s fine I understand; were just taking things slowly and it’s fine with me” I told her, I didn’t want to rush anything with Haley especially with the accident happening I was happy that she was honest with me.

 - - -

We both walked inside still holding hands and as I joke I walked her to the bedroom door since I was still sleeping on the sofa.

“I had a great night tonight Michael, thank you for understanding” she said

“It’s fine Haley”

“We should do this more often and take me to more places we’ve been as a couple” she said

“Well happy anniversary, I love you” I said but my eyes grew wide remembering I said the L word knowing she wasn’t going to say it back and I started to panic “I didn’t mean to say that I’m so sorry”

“Michael” she said trying to stop me

“No I’m sorry I won’t say it again, I just can’t say it without knowing you will say it back so goodnight and have a great sleep” I said walking away hearing the door close; I felt stupid saying I love you to her knowing she wouldn’t say it back and it hurts when she doesn’t say it back to me. I was stupid there was no denying that.