1- Introducing You

It's so hot in this house, but everytime you walk around in just a sports bra and shorts, your parents get so uptight. The summer is half over and you still haven't gotten used to the fact that your parents only run the AC when the temp is over 90. They are gone to work all day, so you assume it's their way of making you miserable so you get up and do something with your life. It's not that you want to sit around doing nothing for the rest of your life, you just didn't know what you wanted. You'd just graduated high school a month ago and were no closer to figuring it out than when they started pushing. All you knew for sure was college wasn't for you and no amount of torture was going to change your mind.

 All you knew for sure was college wasn't for you and no amount of torture was going to change your mind

You can't take it anymore, and pull your tee shirt off and throw it across the living room. You put in your earbuds, close your eyes, and stretch out on the floor in just your sports bra and leggings. The music is blaring out your thoughts and washing away your stresses. You're almost able to imagine being back in middle school where summer breaks are stress free. Growing up has not been the adventure you thought it'd be. You're so lost in thought and the deep bass of the music pulsing through your senses that you don't hear the garage door open. Your dad and a few of his golf buddies walk in. You open your eyes to him looking down on you, disapprovingly.

Dad: *throwing shirt at you*
"Why do you feel the need to start an argument with me every single day?"

Dad: *throwing shirt at you*"Why do you feel the need to start an argument with me every single day?"

You: "You taking everything I do so personally isn't an argument."

Dad: "I have a game to get to; I'm not arguing about this!"

Even though your dad left, you still stomped up the stairs to your room in protest. As you sat on the edge of your bed, madder than ever, the door opened. You were about to snark something else, when you noticed it was your best friend, Avani.

Avani: "Geez, call off the attack dogs. Another fight about not wanting to go to college?"

You: "It's always about that even when it's not about it on the surface. It's not like I want to sit here doing nothing. I just don't want to go to college but apparently photography isn't a real career."

Avani: "You're 18 years old it's not like they can make you go to college so why do you need to fight about it anyway?"

You: "It's just always something with them. I'm not the perfect little valedictorian like my sister was and nothing will ever be good enough."

Avani: "Sorry. I didn't mean to be a downer. I was coming to ask if you wanted to go shopping with me. I leave for school in a week and I haven't even started gathering supplies for my dorm."

Mom: *walking in your bedroom door*

"Not today girls. I need to talk to my daughter"