13

my dawg was one of a kind , i know yo type rare

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

December 4

Queens, New York

"Man fuck this shit!" I tossed shit all around my room, I was tearing this bitch up. Real life, I didn't even know what was going on. "She was so close dawg." I slid down the wall beside my bed and buried my head in my hands.

When I got that call, my heart broke a million ways.

"Bey."

"Man who the fuck is calling me at 4 in the goddamn morning?" I answered groggily. Once I heard Bernice crying on the other end of the phone, I sat up. "Yo wassup? What you crying for Ma?"

Immediately I started putting on clothes. Whenever anybody called me crying, I had to be ready.

"Bey she's gone. They killed her Bey."

"Who did?! Who they killed? Bernice talk to me."

"Katorah Bey, she gone."

My heart sank to my ass. I almost dropped a tear. Not my dawg.

"Who did it?" I spoke firmly.

"I can show you."

"What's the word? I'm on my way." I ended the phone call.

My eyes never burned as much as they did now. I want blood.

"Dammit!" I threw my phone across the room, watching it shatter against my TV. That shit broke with it.

I was determined to get the whole crew out, that shit included Katorah. I kept her safe, kept her careful, taught her shit and now she just gone like that?

"Yo Bey open the door!" I heard Jay's voice.

I didn't answer then I heard Chance saying the same thing. I shook my head vigorously. I just wanted them to go away. This shit ain't fair.

The door opened and they all huddled over me.

"Bey, you gon' be aight." Chance rubbed my back.

"No."

"You need your medicine?" August asked me.

"Get the fuck out my face."

"We ain't gon' do that Bey, we know it's fucked up what they did to Katorah. That's why they dead too."

"But that shit ain't do nothing for me August, it didn't bring her back. I'm tired of losing friends man." Tears sprung at my eyes but I wasn't gon' let 'em fall. I was stronger than that.

"Be-"

"You know Bernice's pregnant? They been planning that shit for a minute... and she's finally pregnant. And she lost her woman bruh. That's fucked up." I tossed more shit and August kneeled down to wrap his arms around me.

"I understand Bey, we got you."

"Aye I don't know how to do none of this shit Bey but I got yo back." Jay said.

I shut my eyes, trying not to cry. I wasn't gonna cry. I can't cry.

"August baby, come on. Y'all too." I heard Ari from the door. I assumed that Onika was beside her or behind her or something.

And when they left, and I felt her sit next to me on the floor, I knew I was right.

"I'm not going to lie and say I understand what's going on in your head because I don't. I've never lost anyone this way but I've lost. Time heals Bey."