21

it's killing me, swear i never cried so much

'cause i never knew love would hurt this fuckin' bad.

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

February 18

Queens, New York

"It's over dawg." I stood outside my old house, the one I'd just sold, the one I bought on my own.

"For you."

"Y'all are more than welcome to come with me." I looked between both Chance and Jay. August walked out of the house and hugged them both. "I know y'all not 'bout to cry."

"Man it's been a long road for real. I remember when we was lil' niggas, running up in people's shit." Jay sighed.

"I wish you would bring yo stupid ass on nigga! You know they boujie asses got security in that bitch."

"And that's why you ain't get out?" Jay asked.

I nodded my head. "I'm the designated driver."

Kyla hopped in the seat beside me, placing a kiss on my cheek. "I love you baby."

"I love you too."

Chance, Katorah, August, and Jay all climbed into the backseat, giving my signal to go.

"Now we just gotta get to Mama T and Pops. Bet that bonus be something crazy." August was all smiles.

"Y'all know how my parents get down."

"It's all about you." Kyla kissed down the side of my face before intertwining our fingers.

"Man those days were something serious." I looked down at the ground. I could feel the tears coming. I looked back up, pushing them back. "Really I thought this day would never come."

"Why?" Chance asked. "Everybody knew Beyoncé 'the boss' Knowles was making it up out the hood. It just radiated off of you, that's always been the plan."

"Man I wish my Pops was here."

"I know that nigga proud. You land on yo feet every time. Remember he used to say that?"

"Yeah."

"Beyoncé! Come here now!"

I slammed my bedroom door and stormed my way downstairs. Pops grabbed me by my forearm, roughly sitting me down on the couch.

He stared at me for a good 5 minutes before he sat down across from me. "Talk yo shit."

"Pops I'm pissed."

"Why? Talk to me. And look at me too, you ain't gon' get nowhere looking down at floors and not communicating. Talk Beyoncé."

"'Cause man! Niggas act like they can't listen, it ain't that fucking hard to do what I say! Like damn, y'all gave me the opportunity to be in this business, right? So why ain't nobody listening to me?"

He smiled at me then wiped that smile right off of his face. "Ain't nobody gon' listen to you because of who you are girl. You ain't got no special privileges. You take control and you make them listen. If they knock you on yo ass, you land on yo feet every time. We don't raise leaders by giving them everything they want in life. Work for it, earn it Beyoncé. Until then, you gon' keep getting knocked on yo ass. You gon' keep getting up. You gon' keep going and you won't stop. Lead Beyoncé."

"I miss that man." I could feel the tears coming, they were close.

"You spoke to OG yet?" Chance asked. I shook my head. "I think you should."