Ch. 28 - Late Night Walks

Yeah, yeah, I know. Such a long wait. But anyway enjoy!

Y/n's POV:

It started off as any other night. I was stuck at work doing over-time, but without the extra pay. This was pretty normal for me. It's not like I enjoyed my job or the fact that I was getting screwed out of my money for my hard labor, I just didn't hate it and I was okay with that. I mean, my life outside of work is pretty bland. The last real fun thing I did was dance and get way too drunk...and that was at my cousins marriage....almost four months ago.

I look up at the clock and see that it's almost midnight.

Guess I should head home.

The icy air hit me like a slap to the face as soon as I left the building. The unsettling quiet of the night in a normally overly busy city would make anyone want to run instead of walk. But not me. I find what most fear as calming. I'm a loner, a nobody, just another person in the crowd. Just the way I like it,

"I said we're done!" A girl yells.

Yet.

"We're not done until I say we are!" A man yells.

Somehow.

"Let go!" The girl yells.

I can never.

"Quit over-reacting! It was only one time!" The man shouts.

Stay that way.

"Hey!"

The two individuals that had been arguing now look my way.

"Piss off lady, this isn't any of your business." The guy says.

"I wish it wasn't, but since you laid a hand on this woman, you've made it my business. Now, are you going to let her go and leave without a fuss? Or am I going to have to call my bestie from the law to come and cuff you for harassment and possible assault?"

The man sneers at me, then looks back to the woman, before finally releasing his hold on her.

"This isn't over." He says to the woman, just loud enough that I could hear, but probably not thinking that I could.

He gives me one last nasty look, then heads off in the opposite direction. I watch him, until he rounded the corner, then spit in his direction.

"What a pig. This is exactly why I don't date men."

"Maybe I should take your advice."

I whip around and for the first time I get to put a face to the voice of the woman I just helped. Her makeup is slightly smudged, her hair is up high in the longest ponytail I've ever seen, and she's wearing black leggings, boots, and a sweatshirt that's at least three times too big for her size.

The girl starts waving her hands in front of me and that's when I realized I was staring.

"Sorry, it's just, you look familiar...like I've seen you somewhere before."

"Well that's probably because you have." She says, then holds her hand out.

"Ariana Grande, famous pop singer, song writer, and actress." She says.

I take her hand and shake it slowly.

"Y/n Y/L/N, boring office worker, loner, and lover of the night."

She laughs.

"You're funny."

"I wouldn't say so, it's the truth."

"Well, no matter who you are, thank you for helping me." She says.

"I'm guessing ex-boyfriend troubles?"

"It's complicated, but yeah you could call it that." She says.

"Cool. Well, I won't keep you, I hope you have a good rest of your night." I tell her.

Most people would probably be wondering why I don't want to stick around and ask this girl question after question. But I don't like people, it's who I am, and who I'll always be. Not even a celebrity can change that.

"Wait, um-I uh. I don't really know where I am and my phone died hours ago. Could I possibly use yours to call one of my friends or something?" She asks.

I stop in my tracks and look back at her.

"Sorry. I forgot mine at home this morning."

"You left it at home? But wait, didn't you say you were going to call someone if that guy didn't leave me alone?" She asks.

"Yeah, well, I was bluffing. I don't have a cop bestie and I lied about forgetting my phone, I just forgot to plug it in last night so I left it to charge while I was away at work."

"Why didn't you just bring it with you?" She asks.

"Because then someone might try to talk to me and I would hate that."

"Wow. You really are a loner." She says.

I raise my eyebrows in question to her statement.

"Not that that's a bad thing. I just-thought you were kidding." She says.

"Nope. Now come on, let's go." I tell her.

"What?"

"Let's go."

"Um...no offense, but I just barely met you and I'm not about to follow you to your house just because you saved me." She says.

"Did I ever say we were going to my house? No. I'll walk you to the nearest phone booth, so you can call someone."

"Oh." She says.

"Now you coming or not? Not
To be rude, but I just left work and I'd like to get some sleep before I have to be back there at 9am. Crazy work schedule, something I'm sure you can relate too as a celebrity."

"Yes, yes I can." She says.

"Sooo?"

"Sure, why not. It's not like I got many options anyway." She says.

"Cool, the closest pay phone is only a couple blocks away, so it shouldn't take us long."

"Lead the way." She says, catching up to me.

To Be Continued...in part 2