18 Waiting in the Wings

A/n: This is a sibling chapter, yeah I do EVERYTHING not just romance.
Since my iPad is acting up and not letting me post videos, if you have Apple Music or Spotify, play Waiting in the wings later on. ANYWAYS

@healthygrilmaddie requested this! Here you go.

First person pov

I always felt like I was in Varian's shadow. Don't get me wrong, I know Varian didn't exactly get all the attention growing up, but at least people acknowledged his existence! As much as I try and try to get people to notice my inventions, they go unnoticed. "Y/n? Who's that?" That's what I hear on a day to day basis. And on the rare occasion they even know who I am, they ALWAYS refer to me as, and I quote, "Varian's sister".

It hurts, but in the end, Varian's the one with a caring friend group, Varian is the royal engineer, Varian...is the one with a happily ever after. And that's great, that's amazing, good for him. But I realized if I don't create my own destiny, I'll continue to just be "Varian's sister".

Third person pov

You waited for your dad and brother to go to bed. That's when you got a book bag from your room and went straight to the basement. You would need supplies if you were going to run away to Arendelle.

You looked around. Medicine, yep you'd definitely need that. That purple sticky substance Varian threw at Rapunzel and Cassandra once, yep. You continued to look for things until you came across a picture. A sketch of your brother, the queen and her former lady in waiting. You assumed Varian drew it and it just made you more sad.

"Guess we all are born with parts to play." You sat down at a table, still looking at the sketch. "Some of us are stars and some are just in the way." Looking up from the drawing, you see your upset reflection in a glass measuring cup.

"I know I was meant for glory, but that's never what my story brings," you get up, "and yet, I keep on waiting. When you have the passion and the drive," you start walking around the room, smiling sadly at yourself. You were going to miss it. "You expect your moment center stage to arrive." You grab your camera, one of your best inventions yet, and stash it in the navy blue book bag.

"I show up with heart a-blazing, ready to achieve amazing things," you walk to your secret spot where you keep all your, well, secret things, "but I'm left waiting in the wings! i hear my cue and yet, im kept there waiting." You take the key from your pocket and open up the secret compartment.

"Know what to do and still, I stand there waiting," you take out your invention journal, a few of your favorite books, and scrap paper filled with ideas. "It's always someone else who sings," you look at Varian's #1 blue pin on one of the tables while you walked back over to the bag to put all the books in, "while I'm left waiting in the wings!"

Meanwhile, Varian had quietly come down stairs because he forgot a few books for midnight studying. When he saw you in the basement he didn't think much of it, until he saw the navy blue book bag, but he just kept himself hidden on the steps.

"And so I keep on keepin' on," you rip out a page from your journal, grab a quill and start writing a note for your dad and brother.

"My chances come and then I blink and they're gone," you hug your journal before stuffing it with all your other books. "Always overlooked unfairly, while pretending that it barely stings," you grab a belt with little compartments to put small weapons in. "But it stings, yes it stings and I'll shed no tears, I'll only keep on waiting," you sing sarcastically.

"If no one cheers, well I can't keep on waiting!" You swiftly put on the belt and put a small pocket knife, and a few gas bottles in it. "Who cares how loud," you stop suddenly. Should you do this? Yes, yes, you deserve your happily ever after.

"the silence brings...you'd find me waiting in the wings," (yeah I'm aware I changed two words so it could fit the story...SUE ME) you slip on your small jacket and put on the book bag.

After double checking the note, you place in on a table and turn around. Lo and behold, a shocked Varian was standing by the steps. You jumped, "hey, uh, wha- what are you doing here this late?" Varian furrowed his brows, "The real question is, what are you doing here?! With a packed book bag and a coat on," the boy responded worried.

"I-I'm going on a...walk. I wanna study night time nature," you quickly say walking past him and up the stairs. Halfway up, you heard Varian mumbling to himself.

"Hey dad and Varian, by the time you're reading this, I'm probably long gone to Arendelle. I'm sorry that it has to be this way, but I have to make my own destiny. Go somewhere new and start off fresh, make myself known. Ps. I heard the the queen has ice powers! That'll be nice to study. Signed...Y/n," Varian softly gasped.

'Crap, he's reading my note,' you started walking up the stairs faster and managed to make it out the front door quietly, but during that process you heard pitter-patter up the stairs...Varian was going after you. You started running and looked back, Varian was behind you. "Stop Y/n! Please," he sounded desperate.

Out of pure guilt, you stopped. "You can't...you can't," your brother pleaded catching his breath. You could see his eyes start to water. "V, I have to do this, for the sake of my future."

Varian didn't say anything but instead wiped his tears. "You want me to be successful right?" The boy nodded. "You want me to be happy?" He nodded again. "So, you need to let me go."

Varian looked into your eyes. He could tell this is what you really wanted to do, because a sparkle was there. The same sparkle he'd see when you showed him your inventions. "Fine...but I'm coming with you," he sniffled. "What?!" You looked at him like he was crazy. "As your big brother-" "by a year-" "it's my job to make sure you get to Arendelle safely. As soon as we get there, I'll come back to old Corona."

You thought for a second. "Let's go," you huffed walking away.

You guys managed to sneak to the dock unnoticed. If you were correct, the boat there was headed to Arendelle. Varian pulled you up and after you got on, you helped the boy up. "Ready?" You asked the boy. "Ready as I'll ever be."

A/n: Heyyyyyyyyy there's not going to be a part two on my page but Maddie will most likely continue it. Also I'm making a Jack Frost x reader book if y'all wanna check that out.

If you like my books don't forget to follow me!

Until next time

-Clementine