20 A Winter's Ball with the #1 Wanted Criminal

A/n: PLAY THE SONG AS YOURE READING THE BALL SCENE TRUST ME IT WILL MAKE THE EXPERIENCE 100% BETTER

You kept a knife and handcuffs in a secret compartment of your dress. Nobody would suspect a princess to be a secret guard now would they? Well nobody...except one person that is. The person you tried catching for 5 years of your life, the person you loved to hate, the person that sent you a letter a week ago.

Hey princess, I heard that your parents are throwing a Winter Ball, how...cute. Anyways I sent you this just to say, keep a good eye on your valuables. See you in a week

                                       -Your enemy, Varian

That boy is so fucking cocky and you couldn't wait to wipe that smug expression off his stupid little face. He may have thought sending that letter was hilarious, but you wanted to make sure he knew it was the worst mistake he's ever made.

Tonight was the night you were finally going to catch the #1 wanted criminal.

"Princess? Do you want heals or shoes?" Ruby, your Lady-in-Waiting asked. You jumped, snapping out of your thoughts. "Um, regular boots, they're more comfortable to dance in. And anyway, you won't be able to see them, my dress is too long," you answered, slipping on a beautiful sky blue, feathered mask. If you were going to catch Varian, you'd need comfortable shoes to run in, if you even needed to.

Ruby looked you up and down skeptically, but still handed you the boots. She applied sky blue lipstick on you, matching your outfit, as you struggled to get your gloves on. "Ten minutes until the ball starts princess, are you sure you're ready?" Ruby furrowed her brows at you.

"Mmm- yes, yes I'm sure Ruby," you huffed, finally getting the gloves on.

The young lady was about to do your hair but you backed away, "my hair is fine like this, I don't want a heavy white wig." Seriously, the dress was enough weight, but you didn't want to bring too much attention on you. If you were going to do this, you would need to be as sneaky as possible.

Ruby crossed her arms, "I don't get payed enough for this." You were about to respond, but you heard music coming from the ballroom. 'Showtime'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You greeted people you recognized while trying to keep a lookout for the criminal. There was one small detail you forgot. It was a masquerade ball, which meant everyone, including Varian would be wearing a mask. That would make it 50% harder to spot out the criminal and you would have to be extra observant.

For the first hour or so, everything looked totally normal and you were starting to think the boy was just bluffing, until you saw someone. From what you could see, he was tall, pale, wearing a black mask and suit. He was on the opposite side of where you were, off to the side away from big groups of people. The one thing that caught your attention was the ocean blue eyes shining through his mask. Yeah, that was definitely him because when he noticed you looking at him, he just smug smiled like he always did.