4 - good old days

Malibu, California
November 2014

Haley Winston

I looked over at Harry and sighed as I stood to my feet and grabbed our dishes.

"I just.. I have a hard time opening up to people" I said and he followed me in to the kitchen and put the paper bag in the trash.

"So do I, I don't trust anyone" he said and I looked at him as he was standing across from me and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Me neither, do you wanna sit outside? The sun is setting it's very pretty to look at" I said and nodded over to my large windows in the dining room.

"Sure" he said and I walked outside and I saw the bottle of wine I finished of last night sitting on the table next to the sun bed that was basically my favorite spot in this entire house. I put the bottle on the ground for now and the ashtray on the table and adjusted the back of the bed so we where almost sitting before I sat down and took the blanket I got from inside to wrap around my shoulders.

"You smoke?" Harry asked and looked at me with raised brows. "Just weed, sometimes" I said and he nodded. That wasn't true, but I didn't feel like telling him that I smoke normal cigarettes sometimes as well.

"Do you?" I asked and he shook his head.

"I've tried, didn't really enjoy the smoking part and weed makes me very tired" he said and I chuckled.

"Haley?" He said when it's been quiet for a few minutes. It wasn't an awkward silence it was a nice and comfortable silence.
"Hm?" I said and looked over at him.

"If you do wanna talk, you can.. I won't tell anyone I hope you know that" he said and I sighed and looked down at my hands.
"I saw Malcom yesterday" I said and he furrowed his brows as he looked at me.

"Your ex boyfriend?" He asked and I nodded.
"Yeah" I said with a smile. "Why did it end?" He asked and I sighed.

"Malcom is a wonderful human, but the thing is he is very very depressed and he started to use drugs after we had been together for maybe two years and it just went south from there I guess, or I think he's been using for years before that but it got worse a couple of years  in to our relationship" I said and Harry sighed.

"It was me that ended it, cause in the beginning I didn't understand how bad he was feeling.. and well i was almost feeling as bad as him, I've always been a very anxious person. Ever since I was a kid and then I just tried whatever he was taking at the time and it felt good, I was happy in the first time for a while" I said and it somehow felt good to talk about it. To have everything just leave my brain for a while, I haven't really talked to anyone besides Malcom about this.

"but one day I woke up and realized this is not how I want this to end, I don't want to be at the first page in a couple of years because I overdosed on drugs and died before 30. Cause I knew Malcom wasn't going to stop, and I knew I couldn't stay away from it if I was associated with it which he didn't understand. But I understood I had almost become a drug addict" I said and Harry looked over at me and you could tell his full attention was on me.

"I've never said that out loud before" I said and smiled a little to myself.

"But you Uh, saw him last night?" Harry asked and I nodded.