Chapter 5 : Loving Nightmares

Y/N's POV

After a nice interaction with the pantha, I had befriended him. It took a while to get back to Zachariah (on top of still having had to heal Mysty's paw) but I had finally reached the gate. There were no knights by the gate so I gave myself entrance.

The streets were deserted, which was out of character for this kingdom.

I became wary.

The streets held a haunted vibe and the air was eerie. I immediately got worried for Sierra, Riatu, Draymon.

I quickened my pace slightly, trying to get back home while examining my surroundings for sights of people.

Not at all had the fact that it was night helped.

A few minutes later, I had finally reached our house.

My stomach churned.

Something's wrongs...

Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I opened the door.

The interior looked normal, nothing out of the ordinary.

Except for that missing wall by the living room. I walked into the house, slowly making my way to the hole.

I saw something I would never be able to unsee.

The first second Sierra was in front of me, standing and breathing; the next she was falling to the floor, a knife jabbed into her heart, blood leaking.

I heard someone scream, a girls voice. Whether it was me or not was unknown and I didn't want to waste time to find out.

I ran to her side and kneeled down next to her. "Sierra? Sierra!" I called out, hoping for a response. She had already passed on.

Tears pooled in my eyes when her chest didn't rise. Her blue eyes turned grey and a sob left my mouth.

The sob turned into sobs and I soon found myself screaming in agony.

I hadn't noticed my power fluctuating, or my flames spreading around all of Zachariah; I held Sierra's body close to me.

She was the first person who ever cared, the first person who had enough kindness to ask me how I was. Don't even mention my real family.

Third POV

Y/N doesn't know long it had been, but she didn't care. Her sobs cooled down, though she needed something to distract her.

As if on cue, a memory of her mother came into mind. It was of her mother singing a lullaby to the young H/Cette. Those times, Y/N had thought her family actually loved her during those times, but it was all a facade put up for the public.

Back to the lullaby, it might have sounded dark at first, but it held a deeper meaning, one Y/N could never understand.

"Lullaby, lullaby, say goodbye," she started feeling tears well up, looking at Sierra. "Lullaby, lullaby... it's time tonight." She took a shaky breath, letting the tears fall freely. "Lullaby, lullaby, don't get a... fright," she held back a sob. "But the monsters stay... for another night."

She continued singing those words until they were muffled by her sobs. She felt as if she got stabbed in the chest multiple times. She felt empty and she didn't know what to do other than to cry. Her sobbing cooled down, but there were sniffles here and there.

"Lullaby... , lullaby, say goodbye." She spoke again, her voice cracking, and standing up.

"Lullaby, lullaby..., it's time tonight." she looked up at the glistening moon.

"Lullaby, lullaby, don't... get a fright." she looked back at the lifeless person.

"But the... monsters stay... for another night..." Who knew that it actually held a deeper meaning, obviously not her.

A/N : I just realized that chapter 5 wasn't published and it was just chapter 4 and 6.

I'm so sorry to those who were confused, my book's a mess and so am I😭.