Chapter 28.5: Back Again

Third POV

Diane's words had left some of the sins confused, due to just how long ago 3000 years was, but Merlin backed up the fact. All still unintentionally ignoring King Bartra (who had tried speaking once again), they looked to Merlin.

"According to the king's omen, Gowther would appear, 'again' alight with emotion." Merlin explained, her smirk slightly widening.

"Does that mean?-"

"Yes." Merlin cut off Y/N. "The old Gowther..." Merlin paused for the dramatic effect. "Used to have a heart."

I actually wasn't going to ask that... Y/N thought, hiding her sweatdrop.

Having had enough, Bartra coughed out loudly, finally gaining everyone's attention. "ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN!!" He placed his fisted hands on his hips.

"How long have you been there?" Meliodas questioned. "Don't ask." Bartra quickly replied.

"Anyway, I spent a long time looking for it, but..." Bartra spoke, digging into the pocket of his robe. After some time, he took out a semi-metal, red-shaped heart, showing it to Gowther. "I finally found it. Do you remember, Gowther?"

Gowther looked at the heart for a while, before being struck by a painful memory. Of him and a girl, one with purple hair, walking down a cave as the girl went on and on about some topic. Gowther's chest tightened, and his flight or fight instinct had turned on, except all he wanted to do was run away. So he turned on his heel, ran to the edge of the roof and jumped off.

"The hell happened with him?" Y/N questioned, running to the edge to see where ran off. "Probably had to take a piss." Meliodas answered. Everyone, now had their attention to the level floor, where Gowther had landed before taking off.

"But he's a doll." Merlin spoke. "Maybe number two, then." Ban guessed. "She just said he's a doll." King said, looking annoyed.

"Then both?" Y/N suggested.

"Now's not the time!" Diane scolded.

She looked both angry and concerned; her eyebrows creased downward with a pout, but a worried look in her eyes, so Y/N let Diane have it.

Diane turned to King Bartra. "Your Highness... What did you show him?!"

"Huh?"

"The moment he saw it, it looked to me like he ran away." Diane explained. "This used to be in Gowther's chest." King Bartra was quick to show the temporary extension of Gowther's heart.

"According to him, it was imbued with 'magic of the heart'" Barta explained, looking at the heart.

"'Magic of the heart'..! That phrase will inspire some beautiful poetry!" Escanor was the first to think, quickly pulling out his notebook and writing down notes.

While Merlin had landed on the floor to speak to King Bartra, Y/N furrowed her eyebrows in thought.

So, he's actually had a heart, huh? That doesn't really add up, but who am I kidding, life doesn't really add up in the first place. Y/N sighed, looking up to see Diane point towards Gowther's long gone figure, "More importantly, let's go after Gowther!" She yelled, turning to the mage. "Merlin! Make me small! We can't just leave him on his own like this!"

Ban smirked, turning the situation into a challenge to see who could catch him first-the winner getting a round of drinks from everyone else.

"Even at times like this, that's your first thought?" King didn't sound surprised, more towards a dissapointed tone.

"Captain!" Escanor turned to the leader, a  determined glint in his eyes.

Meliodas only smiled. "Of the seven rules of The Eight Deadly Sins the fourth says,

" when a comrade is in danger, everyone else will unite to save him with all their might! "

That gave the signal for the challenge to start, and everyone split off to find Gowther.

Y/N found herself running in between Ban and Meliodas, lagging slightly behind as she let the boys talk.

"Hey, Cap'n? Did you know he was a doll?" Ban questioned, snatching an apple from a basket of fruits carried by a man.

"Well... I know the guy who created him pretty well. Even the Demon Lord acknowledged him as the more powerful sorcerer." Meliodas spoke, looking back at Y/N, who simply offered a raise of her eyebrows.

He smiled just as Ban spoke again, "I see~ You can tell that with just one look at Gowther."

"With his skills, he was chosen to be the 'Selflessness' of The Ten Commandments."

Ban questioned the title, taking a bite out of the stolen apple.

"'Selfnessness' strips away the memories and emotions of anyone who harbors desires..."

Y/N found herself slipping away from the conversation at hand, despite the importance of it. She was counting all the different times she's called Gowther a heartless doll, counting how many times she'd have to mentally apologize to him. She never meant to be inconsiderate, but the many times he'd annoyed her did fester these feelings inside her, so partially, it was his fault as well..?

Y/N sighed, biting back a laugh at the poor excuse. She blinked, realizing she was about to run off of the edge of the piece of high land into the crowd of passers-by. Luckily, Meliodas had been there to pull her back into his arms. "What's in your head that's got you so distant?" he asked, curious but worried eyes staring down at hers.

Y/N recollected herself, standing straight as she brushed off any excess dust. "Nothing, really." Y/N laughed it off. "I'm just... a bit worried for Gowther." There was some hesitance in her voice. "But! We can't think about it now when our teammate is still running out there, lost." She smiled, a hazy, hesitant look clouding her eyes.

Meliodas could only sigh, offering her a head pat.

***

Soon enough, the group had found Gowther with Diane and King, and the issue was resolved.

Although it was a bit weird now that Gowther had actual, living, emotions... Y/N couldn't exactly count how many times Gowther had apologized for being too insensitive.

But as bad things come to an end, good things are bound to come, and the reunion of the sins definitely deserved a merry night of drinks all night round.

A/N: Hi there..! It's been a while hasn't it

I've decide to post a chapter today because it took me a while to realize that I FINALLY HAVE INSPIRATION TO CONTINUE WRITING HELLO? Does that deserve an award?

Also, I woke up this morning and realizing today is the books' 1 year anniversary. Like, holy fuck its been a year! I honestly did not expect my book to last that long.

And to also get to 23k views!?? Who the hell reads this book? On that note, I've been thinking of rewriting/editing this book from the start, but I think I'm gonna hold that back till the end of the book.

But yeah, I haven't been writing bc my mental health suddenly spiked, so I haven't been doing so well. But that's all for now, I'm gonna continue writing this book!