Chapter 28: Back Again

Third POV

The next few days had run smoothly.

While the kingdom was slowly being built back to it's glory, Y/N and Meliodas were building their own relationship.

Sooner than expected, the foggy days had started showing, then came the moon, shining brightly in the morning.

The time came for everyone to reunite, and Y/N couldn't help but feel nervous. It had been a good 6 weeks since everyone had been together, and still then, they still were somewhat separated.

Y/N hadn't known what to expect. Had Diane's memories returned? Did King still hold that annoying grudge? Would they both want to leave the team? Y/N thought of endless possibilities.

She then realized she was overthinking things, which she hadn't done in years. She guesses that she'd just been a whole lot vulnerable the last week or two that her consciousness let its guard down, which was not at all good due to the Holy War raging in the background.

Y/N was brought back into reality when Meliodas snaked his arms around her waist, snuggling his head into her neck from the back. "What are you thinking about?" he asked, his hot breath fanning her neck.

"What to expect when Diane and King come back." Y/N mumbled, smiling at her mate. Meliodas, as quick as he could, stole a kiss, earning a chuckle from Y/N.

It was amazing how Meliodas acted like a complete child when showing affection, not all the time, but when doing simple romantic gestures.

"Just get married already!" Ban complained, tired of seeing their shameless PDA. He might have done the same with Elaine, but that was a different topic.

Just as Meliodas was about to protest, Merlin interrupted, "So, as you all see, today isn't exactly a normal day." she started, referring to the weather. "That's because this morning the king had another vision. 'When the moon shines during the day and a creeping mist fills the capital, at the peak of the castle where we were deemed traitors of the kingdom-"

As Merlin recited it, a large black portal formed above Y/N and Meliodas. Y/N escaped Meliodas' grasp and backed away from the portal.

"-one more moon will appear like a heat haze.'"

Meliodas was too distracted by the portal to realize Y/N's absence. "I feel like I've seen this somewhere before." he mumbled.

"and the eight deadly sins will once again unite." as Merlin finished, a large shadow covered Meliodas, then came a large figure crashing onto him.

Dust that had formed settled down, and showed Diane and King.

"... Hey, guys. Long time, no see." King scratched the back of his head. Diane sat up, looking at her friends.

"Diane?" Y/N questioned, taking a step forward. Diane quickly snatched her, and gave her a cheek hug. "Bestie!"

Y/N smiled, hugging Diane's cheek. How she forgot about Meliodas was a bit funny. "You two doing well?" Merlin asked as Diane placed Y/N on her shoulder.

"Where'd you even come from?" Ban smirked. "You're all right!" Escanor beamed. Gowther looked slightly surprised, seeing a difference in Diane.

"Getting to see you again..
makes me happy!! Now if only the captain were alive, too..." Diane teared up.

"I feel the same way..." King empathized, patting her forehead.

"I am alive." Meliodas' muffled voice was barely heard, but everyone picked on it.

"Barely, though, and under you butt." as he said, both King and Diane flinched back in shock.

Meliodas' head popped out of the rubble, and Y/N laughed, finding the situation funny.

What the group hadn't realized was that the King stood by the doorway, ready to deliver a speech. "I've been looking forward to this day. You're finally united. The eight--"

"THE CAPTAIN'S GHOST!!" King and Diane yelled, cutting off Bartra.

Y/N laughed, jumping off of Diane's shoulder to help Meliodas. Ban laughed, "You're not gonna find such a clueless and puny ghost."

"As Ban said, this is the honest-to-goodness Captain! In the flesh!!" Escanor vouched.

"Long story short, some stuff happened and I came back from the dead." Meliodas explained as Y/N helped him up.

"You're really alive!!" Diane cried crocodile tears, poking his side. "That's cutting the story way too short!" King fumed. Though he calmed, knowing he had to act up for what he did weeks ago.

He floated down to Meliodas. "I... assumed a lot of wrong things about you, Captain. And said a lot of mean things. So... I'm sorry." King sighed.

"King." Meliodas spoke up. "What's with these wings?"

"They're teensy!" Ban made fun of.

"Wait, let me see!" Y/N yelled, running toward the group. After seeing the infant wings, Y/N let out an aww. "They're so cute." Y/N cooed.

"So you finally grew them! Congrats! Now you're one of the grown-ups!" Meliodas congratulated.

King grew annoyed by the passing second.

"Kah Kah Kah! Even though they're child-sized." Ban laughed.

"Uuuugh! What the hell!? I'm trying to have a serious discussion here!!" King snapped. "King, don't be mad." Diane laughed. King's demeanor changed almost immediately, facing Diane. "The captain and Ban are happy for you." Diane smiled.

"You think so?" King asked.

"You silly. Of course!"

"O... Okay. If you say so, Diane."

The trio of Meliodas, Ban and Y/N could tell something was different.

"... Did something change?" Meliodas was first address.

"So you noticed? I figured... I know this is coming from me, but I guess you say my feelings have finally been recognized and reciprocated. We're bound together now." King spoke boastfully, hiding his light blue.

"Not you! I mean Diane!" Meliodas corrected.

"Yep!" Diane answered excitedly. "I... got my memories back!"

Gowther, behind his monotone face, was in shock.

"Memories..?" Merlin mused. "Is that true?" Escanor questioned.

"I do not believe it." Gowther spoke up. "Once erased, memories cannot come back."

You're wrong, Gowther." Diane shook her head. "If you have precious memories engraved deep in your soul, even if you forget then or they become hazy, they will never go away." Diane explained, standing up.

"The one who brought you into this world told me that. So I'm going to fulfill my promise to you and him from 3,000 years ago."

Both Merlin and Meliodas expressed their shocked faces.

"Gowther. Let's get back the heart you lost!!"

"The heart I lost?" Gowther questioned.

A/N : Well... it's been a while since I've posted...

So, exams finished like two weeks ago, but I realized I got writers block... woo-hoo.

So Uhm, this is only half of the original chapter but I couldn't keep procrastinating so I decided to post the first half. I'll start writing the second half after posting this chapter.

Also, I've been gone for a month and two weeks and I've gone from 3 to 8k reads, like??? What the fuck???

That's absolutely crazy!! I didn't even think of this book would get so far. Thank you for voting, for adding my book to your reading lists, and commenting. I love y'all!

(I think I failed some exams but that's fine)