what happened that night?(Phineas)

By the end of three weeks I was beginning to think of Isabella as a permanent part of my life. She molded so perfectly into my daily routine. I was  beginning to wonder how I survived for three years without her. Whenever she did the dishes I wanted to wrap my arms around her waist, holding her close to my chest. I wanted to wake up every day with her by my side. I wanted to watch  her face as I slipped a diamond ring on her fingers and asked her to be mine forever. I know cheesy but it's true.

But even though I wanted all this, there was one obstacle standing in my way. The day she left. I knew we needed to talk about it, but I still put it off dreading what she'd say. I woke up at the beginning of the fourth week week of the hurricane, determined to ask her that day. I kept putting it off waiting for just the right moment. It was about 5pm when I finally got up the courage to approach her. I was sitting on the couch, Isabella was reading a book.

" Hey um Izzy?" I said. She looked up curiously I swallowed nervously

" Can I ask you something?" She tilted her head

" Sure what is it?" She asked. I ran my hands through my hair.

" The day you left. What happened? Why... Why did you say all those things?" The words rushed out. I took one look at Isabella and instantly wanted to take it back. Her face hardened. But she didn't look away from me. She looked me square in the eye, head slightly tilted as if deciding something.

" Can I be completely honest with you?" She asked quietly. I could hear the uncertainty in her voice. I quickly nodded. She sighed and put her book on the couch next to her. Se gathered her thoughts

" Look Phineas, I had never been so angry at someone in my entire life. You missed the party the gang threw for me. Even Buford showed up to that. You were my best friend. It hurt me a lot. You knew how scary it was for me to leave, and you couldn't even bother to show up, you chose that girl you met the day before over me, the girl who's been there since forever"

She paused and glanced at me judging my reaction. I felt tense and my hand curled into fists at my side. I was seriously considering banging my head on a wall in frustration at my own stupidity. Isabella continued, her voice tight.

" As for the scene on the doorstep.  I'm sorry. You are not a horrible, selfish Jerk or whatever I said. I was just angry and hurt. And as for the slap? Well I kind of overreacted. I'm sorry for all of that." 

I shook my head " don't be I deserved it." I said fighting to keep my voice level.

" What about what you said right before you left?" I said. I could tell that she knew exactly what I meant but I repeated those haunting words out loud for the first time since I heard them

" What about ' To think I ever loved you"? Please. Its been haunting me since you said it." I looked at her pleadingly. She ran her fingers through her hair, clearly flustered.

" Please tell me the truth... I need to know." I said quietly. She sighed and nodded

" Alright. I had a huge crush on you. Everybody knew. Except you. Your mom, Candace, Ferb, that random ice cream guy, Buford."

" Wait Buford knew and I didn't?" I said highly offended. She laughed bitterly

" Yep. Anyway. After graduation when you kissed Charlotte? That's her name right? I decided I had enough of your obliviousness. I gave up on you. I tried to forget you. And you can see where that got me." The pain and misery in her voice cut into my very being.

" How long... How long did you like me?" I asked my voice almost a whisper.

" It started when we were about seven and went all the way through highschool like I said earlier." She said quietly. I stared at her. All that time I had thought I had no chance, I'd thought I was so deep in the friend zone I couldn't win. I hadn't tried. I'd given up what might have been the best thing to ever happen to me. She'd been in love with me all that time. I suddenly felt angry. Not at her, at me. I stood up abruptly

" Excuse me for a moment." I said walking away before she could answer. I walked into my room and closed the door. As soon as I was alone  I lost it. I screamed into my pillow, I punched the floor as hard as I could, hoping the pain would ebb the guilt and anger pouring out of me. That pain on her face in her voice. It was because of me.  After about ten minutes a gentle knock sounded.

" Hey Phin? Can I come in?" Isabella's voice rang from the hall.

" Yeah!" I called my voice cracking. She opened the door and walked towards me. I looked up at her and all my anger melted away, I began to sob uncontrollably. Isabella sat next to me and pulled me to her, wrapping her arms around me. I buried my face in her shoulder.

" I'm so sorry Isabella!" I gasped around my sobs. She began rubbing soothing circles on my back

" Hey its alright." She said softly. I pulled away and looking at the floor

" No it's not! I caused you so much pain! I was the reason for your tears! How is that ok? You must resent me. I'm no better than that Josh creep." Her body tensed. She grabbed my hand and cupped my face forcing me to look her in the eyes.

" You are nothing like Josh. You are a kind, loving, honest, happy, selfless man. Josh was none of those. And yes it hurt me when you got with Charlotte, but I really did want you to be happy. That's one reason I gave up on you. I never have and never will resent you. Please don't beat yourself up for this anymore." She spoke with such certainty, I simply stared at her for a long while before I got the nerve to speak.

" You are an angel!" I said seriously. She laughed

" Far from it" she squeezed my hand and let go standing up and walking out of the room. I stared after her. How could she not hate me after what I'd done to her. 11 years? Why hadn't she said something? I am such an idiot. With that thought I stood up and followed after Isabella.

She was sitting on the couch engrossed in her book once more. I sat down next to her. She looked up and smiled at me

" You doing alright?" She asked. I nodded.

" Yes. Thank you for talking about that . It has been haunting me for years." I said. She laughed.

" Me too. Only I didn't realise it until today. So I'm glad we talked about it." She grabbed my hand once more and squeezed. Se began to pull away, but I tightened my grip. This earned me a raised eyebrow and an amused grin, but she didn't protest. She merely adjusted her position and went back to her book. I leaned my head back, and closed my eyes. Before I knew it I was asleep.
               🧡💗🧡💗🧡💗🧡💗
" Phineas!" I sat bolt upright. I looked wildly around until my gaze fell on Isabella. She was asleep on the couch to my right. She was moving restlessly.

" Phineas!" She cried again. I moved faster than lighting ( no pun intended)  to her side. I gripped her hand right and tried to wake her up.

" Izzy! Izzy! I'm right here!" Her eyes snapped open. She sat up narrowly missing head butting me in the nose. Her head whipped around, her blue eyes flashing wildly in the dark. When her gaze fell on me she threw her arms around my neck and pulled me close.

" Oh my goodness Phineas! Your ok! Your not dead! You didn't leave me alone! " I fell down from the sudden weight and landed hard in my back, with Isabella on top of me. I grunted as the wind for knocked out of me. I wrapped and arm around Isabella holding her instinctively close to me as she rolled off me and hugged me, nestled into my side.

" Hey what happened?" I said once I got my breath back. She shuddered and buried her face in my chest. When she spoke it was slightly muffled.

" I had another stupid nightmare. You... You died. Just like my dad! In a storm! You left me alone!" She sounded delirious with fear. Not making a lot of sense. But I got the gist.

" Well as you can see I'm not dead and I'm not planning on leaving you anytime soon." She instantly relaxed at my words.

" Promise?" She said her voice beginning to fade with sleep.

" I promise Izzy" I said softly..after a few minutes her breathing deepened and she fell asleep. I was up for hours, just holding Isabella in my arms. She fit so perfectly it seems as if she was made to be mine. She turned her head on my chest so she was facing me. Just looking at her, I acted on a sudden impulse, I leaned in and kissed her forehead. She sighed and nuzzled into me. My stomach filled with cliche butterflies and I fell asleep once more

Whoo hoo. Another chapter published. Hope you guys enjoy it. Please comment. I love feed back. Thank you for reading!!!

Phinbella4eva