16)Detention Attention

*2300 words*

  "Alrighty then," Hagrid huffs cheerfully, dropping a huge bucket down onto the ground and passing us a shovel each.

"You have three hours to get this all cleaned up! Don't forget e'keep yerselves well hydrated!" He sounds slightly cautious. I don't think Hagrid very much agrees with detentions. As he limps off slowly I examine the huge layer of caked dung and mud that sits on the floor of this little enclosure. I often wonder what he keeps in these little scattered pens near the woods.

I sigh as I pick up my shovel and begin working.

"Pfft , your not actually going to do this are you?" Draco seems annoyed. He jumps up onto the fence and sits with his arms crossed as he watches me in disgust. He is clearly upset about his quidditch practice.

"Yes of course I am, we got a detention and Hagrid obviously needs this pen cleaned for something important." I grunt as I struggle to lift the heavy shovel full of mud.

Draco rolls his eyes and clenches his jaw as he looks away from the pen. "Hah! , important...please...it's obviously for one of his bloody creatures."

"What do you mean...creatures?" I stop shovelling as I give my already aching back a rest.

A devilish gleam comes to his eyes but quickly vanishes.

"Have you not seen his creatures? His unicorns and pegasus ponies and..." he pauses and looks slightly angry, "and his hippogriffs."

My eyes widen in awe. Unicorns? They aren't real!

"Well what's a hypogriff?" I question. I have never heard that word before.

"Doesn't matter!" He quickly brushes off my question. "Anyway I say we bunk off here and go take a look."

"Absolutely no way!" I exclaim as I continue working. "And why aren't you shovelling!?"

"I should be at the quidditch pitch right now," he rolls his eyes. "Not here with you shovelling dirt like a dog."

I feel taken aback ever so slightly. I feel like he discreetly called me a dog. I brush it off quickly and focus on getting the pen cleared.

I hear Draco mutter something and look up at him to see his wand in his hand. He waves it slightly and the whole pen clears of mud. I gawk at it.

"Hey! I don't think we are allowed wands in detention!"

He rolls his eyes once again and hops off the fence.

"Come on," he grabs my upper arm and pulls me along behind him as he quickly walks towards the woods. "If we're going to be stuck here for three hours we're going to make it fun."

-
-
-
We've been walking through the woods in silence for almost ten minutes now. It feels like we're going in circles. I follow behind Draco as he leads the way.

"Are you sure we aren't lost?" I cautiously eye the surrounding trees.

"Yes I'm sure of it!" He snaps.

I frown slightly. He seems very annoyed at me today. I don't care! But I don't want his pranks to continue if we slip back into old ways.

I bite my lip slightly and inhale deeply. "Was it really, you?"

He stops walking for a second and turns to look me in the eye. I cant really read his face but it has softened. The breeze blowing his platinum fringe around his forehead.

  "Yes." He states and turns around to keep on walking.
He knew exactly what I was talking about. I smile ever so slightly. Maybe I have more people looking out for me than I think.