1. One night changes everything

Jemima

I lay awake thinking, scrolling through my phone looking at photographs from my birthday celebrations, we had a belated celebration for my eighteenth and Toms twentieth last week. With the accident and all the drama and recovery time after no one wanted to celebrate so we decided to do a joint one when Max was home and we all felt up to it. Just the family and close friends. I smiled at the photos of me goofily taking selfies with my brother, milo had bought me a plastic birthday tiara with a silver glitter light up flashy number eighteen on it, it was so naff but I wore it the whole day to please him. I zoomed in seeing max in the background watching us smiling his cheeky smile. I scrolled through some more noticing a pattern, Max, in the background in nine out of ten of the photos watching or smiling at me. I scrolled once more, Max's goofy grin popping up on the screen where he'd photo bombed Tom and I, I giggled to myself swiping to my favourite, Max kissing my cheek. I looked at one of max tackling me into the hammock I'd bought him for his birthday, to help him relax and calm his wiggly butt, he was hugging me so tightly, I smiled remembering him whispering happy birthday my beautiful little Emmy, I love you princess.

It had been for the most part a happy day

It had been for the most part a happy day. I slunk off on my own a few times. Once to FaceTime Petey, he was sulking he was missing my eighteenth birthday celebrations. Matty had flown him over once max was awake and I was back home, I think he thought it would make me stay at home for a few days rather than visit max who was still recovering in hospital. We had an early birthday cake just the two of us before he left, just like so many birthdays before, just the two of us, my mum didn't celebrate my birthday after a Matty left, not one, I learnt a few years in to escape to peters before my birthday, any presents that monster had to give me were unwanted gifts with no return receipt.

Peter only stayed a week before going home, I was missing him more not less, he was just too far away, I was missing just as much of his life as he was mine and neither of us could get used to that, we'd been inseparable since we were three and four years old, I know being this far apart was just as hard on him as it was me. We called and FaceTimed even more since the accident. We'd started sending each other a daily morning selfie, challenging each other to make the goofiest face, this morning I got a selfie of him wearing his dads over sized spectacles and his hair gelled down to look like his traditional dad. I retaliated by wearing Matty's favourite baseball hat and sunnies, doing his signature midnight blue smoulder pose.

Ed had asked his girlfriend Laura over for the party, she stayed an hour and I spent that hour locked in Matty's room texting William, Tammy and peter until Matty came and found me asking me to come out, I refused so he subtly told Ed that it wasn't going to be ok for her to stay for the whole day, saying it wasn't okay that I was locked in a bedroom when it was my birthday they were meant to be celebrating. Ed convinced me to come down for ten minutes before she left promising me I didn't need to talk to her, I felt a little guilty but I couldn't relax with her there. she'd even bought me a present, I felt even worse that I had refused to accept it from her, she stood there just holding it out to me, it was still sitting in my bedroom unwrapped where Ed had left it, every time I tried to open it I'd have an anxiety attack. My brother found me one time and sat with me sympathetically telling me it's just a gift, nothing bad, she's not expecting anything in return, you're safe now. Remember here you get gifts. Reminding me of my first birthday back with him.