Part 17 - Taking A Break

Asami and Korra had wrapped up their dinner sooner than expected as Asami became uncomfortable in the restaurant. Korra tried to stay quiet about it as they walked back to the car, but she couldn't help herself. "You know.. if you weren't ready for our relationship to be public... you could've just told me Asami."

Asami looked up at Korra quickly "What? I never said that."

"You didn't have to." Korra crossed her arms "I can tell it's how you feel."

"Korra it's not like that, I just-"

"I saw those people talking about us Asami. It's why you walked away." Asami looked down and sighed "Why do you care so much about how people think of us?"

Asami looked back up at Korra "Why are you coming at me for this? You feel the same way. And I have a business to take care of Korra. Not everyone is going to be accepting of our relationship."

"So THAT's what this is about." Korra frowned "I didn't want the world knowing about us because I didn't want someone hunting you down, just to get to me. You're just embarrassed of me!"

"What?? I didn't say that! Why do you always blow things out of proportion?!" Asami started to raise her voice.

"Don't yell at me! And how is that blowing things out of proportion?! You don't want the world knowing that you're sleeping with the avatar because it'd be too embarrassing!! You wouldn't have a problem telling the world if I were Mako!"

Asami widened her eyes, taken back from Korra's comment "What does Mako have to do with any of this Korra?! Are you really that mad at him?! He's your ex too!"

"And he still drools over you! Because you don't want to tell him to back off!" Korra frowned "Just admit it Asami! You're scared you'll lose your business because you're gay!!!"

Asami began to grind her teeth and turned her hands into fists "Is that such a fucking problem Korra!?! My business is all I have left!!"

"What about me!! Am I not good enough for you?!"

"I didn't say that!" Asami yelled "You are such a hotheaded mess that you don't even listen to what I'm trying to tell you!! My business is who I am!!"

Korra frowned as she looked up at Asami "Asami! You're love life shouldn't and doesn't define your work!!"

"I know that Korra!! Why don't you tell that to all my business partners?!"

"If you think having feelings for me is really going to hurt your business Asami, maybe we need to take a break!" Korra snapped, leaving her breathing heavily.

Asami frowned as she looked down at Korra "Are you breaking up with me?"

Korra looked away and frowned "No. I'm not." She said walking to her side of the car "I just think we need a break from each other."

"And how do you expect us to do that Korra? We live in the same house!" Asami crossed her arms.

"Then I'll go to the South Pole by myself." Korra said as she got in the car, slamming the door after.

"Fine." Asami said as she got into the drivers seat. Korra crossed her arms and turned her head away. Asami glanced up and stared at Korra as her face softened. What the hell just happened? She thought to herself before starting the car up and heading back to the estate. Korra and Asami obviously had arguments before, this one was different. This one was rehashing problems the two girls hid from each other. Korra and Asami had never argued this bad before, so it left their car ride full with awkward silence. They didn't speak to each other when they got home, or for the rest of the night for that matter. The two girls slept in their own beds for the first time in weeks, they have never been this disconnected before.
~
In the morning, Korra had been packing and getting a few things ready for her trip down the the South Pole.

"So what? You're just gonna leave without telling me anything?" Asami asked as she leaned against Korra's doorframe, dressed in her night gown and robe.

"I would've said goodbye." Korra said as she walked over to Naga, putting a few things into the bag that was resting on her side.

"Korra... you're not really serious about this... are you?" Asami said watching her carefully.

"I'm dead serious." Korra said walking back to her bed and picking up more things before heading over to Naga again.

Asami sighed as she walked over to Korra "Hey.." Korra walked past her, still packing her things and ignoring her girlfriend.

Asami frowned as she watched the avatar walk past her again "Hey." She said one more time as she walked past her again. Korra was about to walk past Asami for the third time, but she had grabbed her arm and pulled her back "Korra. I'm trying to talk to you."

"What?" Korra said frowning, looking up at tall girl.

Asami looked down at the angry girl and sighed "Let me at least help you to the docks.."

Korra looked away from Asami "Fine..." She mumbled and pulled away from her.

"Okay just.. let me go get ready.." Asami said before walking out of the avatar's room. Korra sighed once Asami had left the room. They've only together for 3 months and they already needed to take 'a break'. It made Korra nervous for what the future held for them.
~
At the docks, Korra and Asami watched as the workers loaded all of Korra's things onto the ship, which wasn't much, leaving the two girls standing in awkward silence.

Asami bit her lip as she glanced over at the avatar "Are... are we going to be okay?"

Korra sighed and nodded softly "Yeah.. I just.. need to clear my head space... figure out what I really want..." She said as she watched Naga run onto the ship.

"Okay..." Asami said as she faced Korra "You still love me... right?"

Korra furrowed her brows as she faced Asami as well  "What?? Of course I do.. why would you ask something that?" She asked as she hugged Asami,  the tall girl hugging her back.

"I'm just making sure..." She said softly "Don't stay away too long this time... okay? I almost went insane over those three years.." She whispered

Korra nodded as she laid her head on Asami's chest "I won't... I promise.. no more than two weeks."

"Good..." Asami said before pulling away slowly as the ship began to lift their ropes from the dock "I guess you should get going.."

Korra nodded a bit as she looked up at the ship then at Asami. The avatar stood on her toes, kissing the tall girls lip gently "Don't miss me too much... okay?"

Asami kissed back, feeding more into it than Korra "I already miss you now." She knew it sounded corny, but it was true.

Korra chuckled softly and nodded "See you in two weeks..." Korra said before climbing the ramp onto the ship. The workers finished getting the ship ready for sail. They pulled in the ramp and lifted the anchor and soon, the ship along with the avatar, started to leave Republic City.

"I love you!!" Asami yelled out to Korra as she cupped her hands around her mouth. Korra chuckled as she looked back at Asami doing the same. "I love you too!!" 

Asami laughed a bit and waved as the avatar's ship had gone further out into the water. She had stayed until it was out of line of sight before dropping her head in her hands and mumbling to herself.

"I'm such a fucking idiot."

~