Part 29 - Turmoil

The next morning, Korra was woken up by the sun beaming down on her face through the window while she laid on her back. The avatar slowly opened her eyes as she took in a deep breath, letting it out and allowing her body sink into the bed. Often in the morning when Korra woke up, her mind and spirit were well rested, but her body still felt heavy as if she never slept. The struggle of being the avatar.

Korra stared up at the ceiling for a bit, feeling reluctant to get up. She used her hands to rub her face and push her hair out of the way before turning her head and looking over at her girlfriend who seemed to still be asleep. Asami was laying on her side with her back facing the avatar, the blanket barely covering her naked body. Korra smiled at the sight of the tall girl. It was still hard for her to fathom how much control Asami actually had over her. It was more than Asami could ever understand.

The avatar rolled onto her side while moving closer to her girlfriend. To her surprise, Asami was already awake. She was just laying quietly in bed, her eyes focused on the wall across the room. Korra let out a small chuckle as she looked down at Asami while gently pulled back her raven black hair, exposing her skin.

"Good morning.." Korra said softly before leaning down and placing small kisses in the crevice of Asami's neck. Asami's focus stayed on the wall as she stayed silent. Korra lifted her head a bit as she looked down at her girlfriend, wondering why she hadn't answer her.

"Is there something interesting about the wall?" Korra mumbled teasingly against Asami's neck. Asami's eyes fell to bed as she felt the avatar's arms wrap themselves around her waist. She continued to stay quiet, ignoring Korra's question.

" 'Sami..?" Korra ran her hand over Asami's hip in a loving manor before propping herself up onto her elbow and looking down at the girl "You okay?" She asked. When Asami didn't answer again, Korra frowned a bit with concern.

"Asami..." The avatar sat up completely as she tried to turn her girlfriend onto her back so she can see her face to face "What's wro-?"

"Don't touch me." Asami spit out quickly as she pulled away from Korra and fixed herself to lay on her side again.

The avatar stared down at her girlfriend with wide eyes for a moment before pouting at her sudden attitude "What the hell was that about?"

Asami kept her gaze ahead of her, avoiding eye contact with the avatar "I'm not in the mood, Korra."

Korra continued to stare at Asami with confusion and part disbelief "Not in the mood for what?? I didn't ask for anything. I was just-"

"I don't care." Asami spit again again bluntly.

The avatar frowned as she started to take offense to Asami's cold words "What the hell is your problem? What's with the attitude??"

"I don't have an attitude." Asami mumbled as she pulled the blankets over her shoulder "I just had a bad dream."

"A bad dream is making you act like this?" Korra asked. The tall girl just laid there quietly, dodging another question, causing the avatar to become frustrated "Asami. What's wrong?" She said, this time her question needing a demanded answer.

After some more time of Asami staying silent, she turned onto her back and faced the avatar, speaking up reluctantly "How can you pretend like everything's okay between us??"

Korra looked down at her girlfriend as her face softened a bit. Asami's question was odd and made her feel slightly uncomfortable "What's there to pretend..? I thought everything was okay. More than okay actually.."

"Of course you would." Asami mumbled as she rolled back over onto her side.

Korra's frown returned to her face "And what's that supposed to mean?"