restlessness

Harry couldn't sleep again. Dragons? He thought, The first task is dragons?  He sat bolt upright and moved the large scarlet blanket to the side and opened the velvet curtains to the dark dormitory. The ambient noise of the other boys sleeping filled the room, bringing comfort and soundness. Putting on his characteristic, round glasses, and picking up his wand, he trudged down the worn, wooden steps into the common room. The sudden light from the crackling fireplace strained his eyes. He was alone. Harry ran his hands through his messy hair and opened the portrait hole to do some nighttime exploring.

       The castle was like an endless labyrinth where Harry somehow knew most of the twists and turns of the corridors. The cool stone floor was useful for his sock-clad footfalls, and soon enough he had landed halfway down Gryffindor Tower. He stopped and paused, finally free of thoughts regarding the Tournament. Moments later, a menacing shadow made a small scuffling sound (from what Harry could make out it had paws), echoing down the dead silent hall. Nearly jumping in fear of Mrs Norris, he pressed his back against an unlocked door that swiftly opened under his weight. Then, the strange shadow revealed itself to be none other than a little white ferret.

       The tiny, sleek creature ran to Harry, who had now slid down the wall into a seated position with his back to the open door. To his own surprise, he began to talk to the ferret. "Hey, little guy," he whispered to it. It looked up, then jumped into his open hands. "Let's explore this room, shall we?" Harry stroked it affectionately. In response, the furry little animal let out a tiny yip. The dark room had a mysterious, magical glow radiating from the center, inviting Harry and his small friend for a closer look. The Mirror of Erised stood alone. 'Remember, Harry.' Dumbledore's voice radiated through Harry's mind. Not wanting to hear it again, he fled from the room, still holding the ferret. 

       And now he was alone with it. "I think I'm going to name you Sugar," Harry pet it softly again. The new pet snuggled back. Not wanting to abandon it, he looked to the small nook by the door and took off his gray hoodie, feeling his t-shirt slip up. He lay it onto the small space, tucking the hood down to make it cozier. He then picked the ferret up and gently, very gently, laid it down. "Goodnight," He looked back to make sure it was safe, and then walked back up the spiral staircase to really get some rest.