love in the air

A/N:

     Inspiration struck early, so you're welcome. Enjoy.

     "The Yule Ball is an opportunity to promote inter-school unity, and to," Professor McGonagall let out a breath. "let our hair down. Who would like to demonstrate?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Did you see how his ears turned red?"

    "I know, right?"

    "Who's he going with?"

    "I'm setting him up with Hermione." Harry smiled. "Care to help?" The plan was on. Later that evening at dinnertime, Harry paid close attention to what each of them said.

    "Krum's going to have thirty requests by the end of this evening!" For once, his mouth was clear.

    "Yeah, true. They follow him like a pack of dogs in search of some good beefcake-"

    "Who're all of you going with to the ball?" Harry interjected suddenly. Ron and Hermione looked at each other, then Harry.

    "No one," They said simultaneously. He decided he'd have to bring it up later.

   "I'm thinking of asking Cho, reckon she'll say yes?" Harry needed an answer as soon as possible.

   "Harry, relax. If she says no, what can you do?" Hermione stated matter-of-factly. 

    The next morning after Defense Against the Dark Arts, Harry pushed through the traumatized children who were still recounting the lesson. Around a nearby corridor packed with students, there Cho Chang was, surrounded by her girlfriends. She seemed to be having a good time with them. Why do they have to travel in packs? he thought as he scuffled through to her.

    "Cho, can I have a private word with you?" Harry said quietly, earning some giggles and 'oohs' from the girl pack. She happily agreed, forcing Harry to muster up his confidence.

    "What is it?" Harry gulped.

    "Willyougototheballwithme?"

    "I didn't catch that, Harry." She looked apologetic.

    "Will you go to the ball with me?" His heart pounded with intensity.

    "I'm so sorry," she looked at her feet. "I'm already going with someone." She paused to check if he knew who she was talking about. "Cedric," Harry looked her in the eye, and felt his face get hot with embarrassment.

    "It's okay," Harry nearly turned to walk away. "I'll see you around, then." He then left, defeated. Shoot, now who am I going with? We have to have someone for the first few minutes.

    Professor McGonagall was sitting in her office, watching the whir of a teaspoon in her cup, not touching the sugar once. She didn't look up for a second. "What is it, Potter?"

    "Professor, I don't have a dance partner..." Oh god, this is so humiliating! He thought.

    "Well you must have someone-"

    "I know."

    "Come to think of it, there was another person." McGonagall called to the back tutoring room. "MALFOY!" Draco came running. "You two shall open the ball together. No ifs or buts." 

    "Well, I suggest we practice, then."