the yule ball

"What are those?" Harry couldn't stop laughing. Ron's dress robes were frilly and musky-smelling. 

      "DON'T MAKE IT WORSE!" Ron tried to cut off the frills using a Severing Charm, which somewhat worked. "What're you wearing?" He turned to face Harry. "You have nice robes!"

      "Shut it, will you? You look amazing." Harry punched his arm playfully. "Let's find Draco and Hermione."

      They found them at the base of the stairs, laughing and talking about some ancient piece of literature only God knew where they found. Hermione looked at Ron excitedly and grabbed hold of his arm. "See you boys later!" She squealed in an un-Hermione-like way. Ron blushed proudly and led her inside.

     "It's almost time!" Draco grabbed hold of Harry's arm. His black robes made him look dark and dashing, Harry noticed. 

     "Pull your best disgusted face!" Draco made an angry pout. Harry loved it when he made that silly face, so much so that he couldn't help but giggle like a little girl. In a moment, the large wooden doors to the Great Hall opened, revealing a snow-white room. The four champions lined up to enter the ball. Fleur brought the Ravenclaw Captain, Roger Davies, who was repeatedly tripping over his own feet. Viktor brought a stern-looking Durmstrang girl Harry didn't know, and Cedric, who was right in front of him, brought Cho. Harry's attraction to her seemed to dwindle over the weeks.

     The hall was gorgeously decorated for the event. Pulling a stink face to ward off the gasping teenagers all around ("Potter with Malfoy? Who forced them?"), he began to scan the ballroom. Delicate ice sculptures stood on elaborate pedestals, near a Christmas tree decorated with beautiful baubles and with a glowing star at the top. Silky tablecloths adorned the feast tables, and the delicious smell of the food on the porcelain tableware filled Harry's nostrils.

     The music started, and the champion pairs grabbed each other's bodies. Harry grabbed Draco's unsurprisingly narrow waist and made the first move. "Steady now, like we practiced."

     The dance was somewhat smooth, until the nerves kicked in with all eyes on them. Draco began to step on Harry's toes unintentionally. It almost felt like days until the music stopped, not that he didn't enjoy dancing with him. Finally, The Weird Sisters climbed onto the miniature stage that seemed to appear out of nowhere, and took control of the music choice. Harry saluted goodbye to Draco, made it into a rude gesture, and walked off to find someone to talk with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     "Finally, I never thought it'd end!" Pansy clutched Draco's arm, allowing the frills of her dress robes to flake glitter onto him. "You looked so disgusted, my poor Draky-Waky!" She latched onto him. 

     "Y-You're getting body glitter all over me!"

     "Let's dance! It's my favorite song!" Pansy took his arm and dragged him into the crowd of dancing couples, crashing him into several people who groaned in disappointment at their spilled drinks or messed up rhythm. The music got louder, and Pansy attempted to make him dance to the song, grabbing his hands and crinkling his cuffs.

     "OW! HEY!" Draco's yell was deafened by the sound. She threw his hand down and huffed.

     "You're no fun!" She spoke loudly in his ear and stormed off. Proud to be free of her, he walked off back to his room. As he walked into the entrance hall, he saw Ron holding Hermione who was...

     "Crying?" He said out loud accidentally. Ron stroked her hair as she sobbed into his shoulder, not caring how much mascara dripped onto his robes (They were hideous, anyway). "What happened?" Draco was genuinely concerned. Her face was pink from dancing just minutes ago.

    "V-Viktor f-found me after I t-turned him down for the b-ball..." Tears poured from her eyes. "H-He c-called me a m-mudblood and stole my d-drink-" Ron glared at Draco. 

    "You have no say. You called her the exact  same thing less than a year ago. Give her space." Since they were all in the dungeons (Somehow), the Slytherin Dormitory was a thirty-second walk. 

    Crashing into bed to sleep off all the unnecessary drama that went down, Draco felt a long, slim lump in the covers. The lump climbed on his chest and peered into his eyes. "Good on you for making Granger cry today," Pansy breathed into his face, her smoky breath in his nose. Partially wanting to tell her the truth, he resisted the little urge. 

    "Yeah, I totally ruined her clownish makeup." It horrified him how easily the insult rolled off his tongue. Pansy had already gone to sleep now, slipping her feet under his pants and running them on his bottom. She suddenly pushed him off and out of the chartreuse curtains, his head bashing onto the wooden floor. Draco slept there, head full of thoughts and dreams before falling asleep.