it's harmless

"I-I don't know," Hermione put down her book. For once she was at a loss for words. Harry picked up his cup and drank the unnaturally sweet tea, burning his tongue. 

       "I bet that animal's a spy-"

       "Ronald, no-"

      "My dad told me there's a department at the Ministry that busts unregistered Animagi that act as spies for You-Know-Who."  Ron seemed to make sense. 

       "That's correct, but what if it's just a harmless-?" 

       "Hey, Potter!" A familiar, snobbish voice echoed from the Slytherin table. Draco Malfoy stood up and strutted over to where the three were sitting. "What're you and your girlfriend blabbing on about?" He sneered, causing Hermione to scoot a few inches closer to Ron. 

       "Why don't you go back to your own girlfriend? She looks excited to see you!" Harry blabbed without thinking, but there she was, pug-faced as ever, waving from the crowd of green-accented robes. Ron and Hermione opened their mouths in astonishment. He got lucky this time. 

       "Shove off, Malfoy-"

       "Why, you-" Draco lifted his fists threateningly.

       "Is there a problem here, boys?" A tall, stern woman with a pointed hat stood beside them, arms crossed and staring down. Professor McGonagall didn't look happy, nor displeased. "If there's a fight going on, you will do well to report it." She walked away briskly.

       "You better not go around blabbing about this like you did about my girlfriend."

       "Don't worry, you shouldn't be seen with that hag no matter how ugly you are yourself," Hermione piped up. She never moved from her peaceful position on the chair, and never looked up from that old, dusty book. To Harry's surprise, Malfoy said nothing, walked off, and sat next to Pansy Parkinson, the pug-faced girl. She whispered energetically into his ear, and he slumped down with his head in his hands.

       "It's absolutely harmless, Ron." Harry started piling scrambled eggs into his mouth. "Absolutely harmless." Hermione looked up from the book and shrugged. Ron began to laugh. 

       "I suppose,"