dragons

All week Harry thought about Draco, so much so that he barely had enough time to think about the dragons that he'd have to face in the first task, which happened to be-

       "Tomorrow." Hermione read. "The first task is tomorrow and you've barely touched a single book on dragons." 

      "I'm sorry, all I could think of was Malfoy." Harry pulled his hood over his head. "Can you believe he likes me?" Hermione rolled her eyes and snapped her fingers.

       "Hey!" She slammed one of her large tomes in front. "Whatever you and Malfoy do is none of my business. He's too young to be passing information on to Death Eaters. But anyways, we need to focus!" Harry threw his head back. 

      "But I can't stop thinking about it," he whispered. "There's no book on how to defeat a dragon, Hermione."

       "Oh, but there is one about solving your love dilemmas?" She smirked and grabbed the chair beside him. 

       "Fine, you win, but if you help me with this, I'll help you with Ron." Hermione went pink. She opened her mouth to argue back, but then closed it in defeat.

       "We have a deal." They shook hands. "Now, I want you to think. Do you like him?" Harry closed his eyes and thought of the way his sleek, platinum blonde hair shone in the sunlight while he was fixated on the exact position of the snitch.

       "Yeah, we'd be great friends-"

       "Okay, but in that way? 

      "Not yet."

      "If you do decide to be his friend, you can't tell anyone besides Ron and I." Harry nodded, thinking it might not be half bad. "Okay, thanks. Now tell me what you see in Ron."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

       "Welcome, students, to the first task of the TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT!" Ludo Bagman roared into the microphone. Cheers echoed through the crowd and all through the makeshift stadium. Harry listened through the champions' tent, waiting. His stomach performed a series of complicated gymnastics he could never attempt in reality. One by one, Fleur, Cedric, and Viktor faced their dragons, causing roars and blasts of heat to radiate all around. Finally, the flaps of the tent opened to reveal Cedric Diggory, hair singed and and scratched up. 

      "And now welcome our other Hogwarts Champion, Harry Potter!" There were significantly less cheers, but that didn't bother Harry at all. He opened the dirty flaps, and looked up at his opponent, a sleek breed with a tail like a wrecking ball, and black ridges all along its back. Harry looked it in the eye and repeatedly dodges as it flung rocks and breathed fire from twenty feet away. Harry tried to think fast, and knew what he had to do. 

       "Accio Firebolt," He summoned the broomstick, and went for a game of chase with his winged companion. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

       Harry was nearly out of breath as he dove down and quickly pulled back up in a classic Quidditch move. The dragon seemed long gone as his broom seemed to sputter. He landed as smoothly as he could on the flattest boulder he saw, grabbed the intricately carved golden egg, and held it over his head as his friends cheered. He lived in the beautiful moment, feeling as if he'd conquered an entire kingdom, if only for a few moments, before his head bashed against the formation and the world went white.