Chapter Four: Third Year, January

Draco cursed himself for not bringing a scarf or his gloves along with him as the wind howled through the castle and bit against his bare skin. He'd been waiting for the right moment to do this for months, watching the Muggle-born as she slipped into the supply cupboard close to their Arithmancy classroom and not coming out, wondering what she was doing and where she was going. It was only a week ago that he had spotted the thin gold chain around her neck and seen the time turner tucked beneath her clothes that he realised. For the last seven days he had wondered when he should confront her about it, and when he woke earlier than the rest of the boys in his dorm that morning he knew it was the day. He had skipped breakfast and instead sat waiting in the supply room for her to appear, practicing simple spells as he did.

At 8:30am she appeared, screaming when she saw him smirking at her with his back against the door.

'Surprise Granger.' He drawled, watching the scowl appear on her face.

'What are you doing in here?' She asked, crossing her arms against her chest.

'I wanted to tell you that I know your little secret.' He mock whispered, leaning towards her slightly.

'So?'

Her reaction surprised Draco, but not enough for his expression to reflect this. 'I want to know where you got it.'

'It was given to me.' She replied, biting her lip before continuing. 'McGonagall allowed me to use it because I chose so many subjects.'

'Interesting.' Draco mused.

'Look, are you going to tell anyone or not? I'm in a hurry.' She huffed when he made no move to get out of her way.

'The girl with the Time-Turner is worried about being late?' Draco scoffed. 'You have all the time in the world.'

'This isn't a toy, Malfoy.' She bit back. 'I have lessons to get to.'

She made to shove him out of the way and open the door before he could stop her, but her foot caught on a mop and she fell against him. His arms came out to catch her before she could drag them both to the floor and their chests pressed together. She looked at him to say "thank you, now move" but his lips pressed against hers in a moment of weakness and the words were lost.

For a moment she forgot who she was kissing in this dark cupboard, only registering the way his lips moved softly against hers as his hands held a tender grip on her elbows. Draco also found himself forgetting who he was kissing, until she pulled away and looked into his eyes. He was about to open his mouth and insult her, to make her think that this was her fault, but she spoke first.

'We never speak of this.' She said firmly. He nodded and stepped aside for her to leave the supply room.

And for almost two years, they never mentioned it once. Though they both thought about it on occasion.