Chapter Twenty Two: Eighth Year, December

Christmas morning saw Hermione wake up ridiculously early, like usual, but while Draco was asleep she sat by the window and cried for a while. It was her second Christmas without her parents knowing who she was and it only brought on flashbacks of last years Christmas in the midst of war.

She'd sent Harry a letter last night, out of comfort mostly, reminiscing about their Christmas Eve in Godric's Hollow last year and wished him a better one this year. She also sent a letter to Ron and Ginny asking them to pass on her love to the rest of the Weasleys. She would have wished them a Merry Christmas but she knew the atmosphere at The Burrow would be difficult with Fred's absence.

Draco woke up at 6am to Hermione's soft sniffles.

'Hermione.' He said quietly.

'Oh, Draco.' She said in surprise, wiping her eyes on the back of her hand. 'I didn't think you'd be awake this early.'

'Do you want me to give you some space?' He asked carefully.

'No, I'm okay.' She insisted before climbing back into bed beside him. 'I thought I'd be alright today, but it's brought up a lot of memories.'

'You don't have to talk about it, but if you want to I'm all ears.' He said, pulling her in for a comforting hug.

'It's nothing. I just wish my parents were here.' She mumbled, holding back a sob.

Draco's breath caught in his throat, not knowing what to say. He'd never found out what happened to her parents, but being Muggles it wouldn't shock him to find out something bad had happened to them.

'I wish they were here for you too.' He whispered into her hair as she cried some more into his chest.

They stayed like that for ten minutes, Draco simply holding Hermione while she let her emotions out, before she pulled away and dried her eyes.

'No more time for emotions.' She said, sniffing. 'I got you something.'

'Hermione, I told you not to get me anything.' Draco grumbled.

'No, you told me not to buy you anything.' She corrected as she got up from the bed and dug through her trunk to find his gift. She handed it over with a smile on her face and sat beside him.

'Should I be nervous? Why are you looking at me like that?' He asked with a laugh as he took the gift from her.

'Just open it.' She said impatiently. Draco gave her one last look before pulling apart the wrappings to reveal a knitted Slytherin emblem. His brow furrowed slightly as he pulled it from the packaging, slightly confused as to what it was, but as it unfolded his eyes widened in surprise. It was a large knitted blanket in green and silver, bearing the Slytherin emblem in the middle.

'I thought since I have the blanket you made for me, you should have one that I made for you.' Hermione mumbled, slightly embarrassed at her gift now that he'd opened it.

'Hermione,' Draco whispered as he spotted his initials in the corner, like on his handkerchiefs. 'This is one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever received.'

'You like it?' She asked.

'I love it.' He whispered, looking into her eyes. That was the first time he had ever said he loved a gift.

'Thank Merlin.' She mumbled before pressing her lips to his.

'Now I'm worried that my gift isn't going to live up to this.' He remarked, wrapping the blanket around his shoulders and moving off the bed to go to his own trunk.

'Draco!' Hermione cried. 'You said no gifts!'

'Come on, you really expected me not to get you anything? I'm hurt.' He said, sarcastically clapping a hand over his heart. He pulled a small black box from his trunk and got back into bed, handing over the box.