Chapter Nineteen: Eighth Year, November

After dressing in a multitude of layers and asking Draco a dozen times if he wanted to go with her, Hermione made her way to the courtyard to meet Ginny so that they could walk to Hogsmeade together.

'Is Malfoy not coming?' Ginny asked when she saw Hermione alone.

'I asked, but he insisted it would be for the best if he didn't come.' Hermione explained.

'Maybe he's right. I heard Blaise ask Luna if she wanted to go to Hogsmeade together.' Ginny said as they began the walk.

'Oh really?' Hermione said in surprise. Blaise had been making a move since the first day back at school, but no one thought it would come of anything after a few weeks went by with no change from Luna.

'Yeah, she told me that they were going to do their Christmas shopping together.'

'Is it not a bit early for that?'

'You know Luna, she's not one to follow conventions.'

'I'm glad they're getting along. I'm glad we're all getting along.'

'I was sort of worried to begin with.' Ginny admitted as they walked into Hogsmeade. 'Sitting with two Slytherins wasn't what I anticipated during my final year.'

'It's not something I expected either. I didn't think I'd share a dormitory with one either.' Hermione added.

'How are you two? Are you official yet? Do you get any homework done?' Ginny said with a wink. Hermione rolled her eyes and didn't acknowledge the last question.

'We're great. I would call it a relationship. We're taking it slow.' Hermione said, answering each question in turn.

'Why would you do that? You've been snogging longer that Harry and I have.' Ginny asked, clearly talking about Hermione's last answer.

Hermione laughed. 'As true as that is, our snogging meant that we never spoke to one another about anything. It was purely physical and I wanted us to actually get to know each other before entering into any form of sexual relationship again.'

'Purely physical sounds alright to me.' Ginny said after contemplating it.

'Ginevra!' Hermione scolded, but didn't get to say anymore as two boys shouted their names.

The girls turned around to see Harry and Ron rushing towards them, huge smiles spread across their faces. Harry hauled Ginny into his arms while Hermione and Ron embraced, swapping over after a moment so that Harry and Hermione could hug and Ron and Ginny could say hello. As close as they were, Ron and Ginny were not the type to hug each other.

The chatter between the four of them was so muddled and fast paced that Hermione could barely keep up until they sat down in the Hog's Head with a Butterbeer each.

'So, how has school been for the two of you?' Harry asked. Hermione could see him holding Ginny's hand under the table and smiled.

'It's going well.' Hermione said.

'We've made friends with the Slytherins.' Ginny laughed. Ron and Harry both chocked on their drinks.

'Did you not mention that in your letters?' Hermione asked Ginny.

'I wanted to see their reactions in person.' Ginny replied with an wicked glint in her eye.

'All of them?' Ron asked when he had recovered.

'We only really speak to Draco and Blaise.' Hermione said.

'Oh we're on a first name basis, are we?' Harry asked.