Chapter Twenty: Eighth Year, December

Another month passed in the blink of an eye and before Hermione knew it they were on the Hogwarts Express, heading for Kings Cross for the Christmas holidays.

Hermione had enchanted their carriage so that it was gently snowing and Luna had given everyone crowns made of tinsel to wear. Draco had refused to put it on, with a lot of complaints from Blaise who had made his own crown Slytherin green, until Ginny transfigured it into a brooch for him to pin to his tie. She'd rolled her eyes when she did it, muttering something about his whining, but had turned her tinsel crown into earrings so that her head wouldn't itch.

When they arrived at Kings Cross they all said their goodbyes and went their separate ways, but Hermione clung to Draco's hand as they stepped off the train.

'You're crushing my fingers.' Draco commented as they walked along the platform.

'I'm nervous.' Hermione whispered.

'Don't be. I wouldn't bring you home for Christmas if I thought it was a bad idea.' He said, kissing the back of her hand as she continued to hold his in a death grip. She loosened her hold slightly, but still clung on, giving it a squeeze when she saw his mother in the crowds.

'Mother.' Draco said when they stopped in front of Narcissa. He held on to Hermione's hand as he kissed his mother's cheek in greeting.

'Draco, darling.' Narcissa said as she pulled back to look at him. 'I've missed you.'

'I've missed you too, mother.' He said with a small smile.

'Hermione,' Narcissa said as she turned to face her. 'It's so lovely to see you, I'm so glad you accepted our invitation for Christmas.'

'Thank you so much for inviting me.' Hermione replied, trying not to jump in surprise when Narcissa pulled her in for a small hug.

'Draco practically begged, and I can never say no to him.' Narcissa said with a smile. 'Besides, I've been wanting to meet you properly for years.'

Draco took this moment to clear his throat and suggest that they get to the Portkey.

The three of them walked in relative silence, Narcissa on Draco's left and Hermione on his right, until they found the Portkey and travelled to Andromeda's. Hermione would never be able to wrap her head around instant travel with the use of Floos and Apparition let alone the use of Portkeys, which were a lot more uncomfortable and nauseating, to get to across the country in seconds. She took a few steadying breaths to hide her urge to throw up before taking Draco's outstretched hand.

Hermione had only been to Andromeda's once before, having met her the other times when she had travelled to the Burrow, but she was still struck by how breathtaking her house was. It was nothing extravagant, or over the top, it wasn't even huge. It had the same 'homely' quality that The Burrow possessed; a cottage in the middle of expansive fields with ivy growing up the walls.

'I've been waiting so long to see you to again.' Andromeda said to both Draco and Hermione as they approached. She pulled them both in for a bone crushing hug and Hermione suppressed a giggle when she saw how awkward Draco looked at the interaction.

'Hello, Aunt Dromeda.' He said as he pulled away.

'Thank you for inviting me for Christmas. I've been meaning to write to you.' Hermione said, earning her a warm smile from the older witch.

'Not to worry, I hear Draco's been keeping you busy.' Andromeda said, shooting Hermione a wink. Hermione blushed and Draco cleared his throat, stepping around the women to go into the house.

'Dromeda, we promised not to bring it up in front of them.' Narcissa hissed to her sister, pulling Hermione into the house by linking arms with her.