Chapter Twenty Four: Eighth Year, January

'I didn't have nightmares while we were staying at Andromeda's.' Draco said suddenly, looking up from his Potions homework.

It had been a few hours since their emotional conversation. After Hermione had comforted Draco until he was feeling better, he'd had a quick shower while she made them both tea, and then they both decided to crack on with some of their homework.

'Did you not take any Dreamless Sleep?' Hermione asked, her head still buried in her Arithmancy book.

'No, I left it in my room here by accident.' Draco said, looking confused.

'That's a good sign, right?' Hermione asked.

'It is, but I've never not had them when I've been off Dreamless Sleep. Even if it's just one night I've had them.' Draco said, turning to look at Hermione. A slow smile spread across his face as he looked at her. She finally looked up and met his eyes, confused by his smile.

'Why are you looking at me like that?' She asked slowly.

'I think you're the reason.' He said.

'What?' She asked, still confused.

'I don't need to take Dreamless Sleep anymore, I just need to sleep with you.' He cried.

Hermione laughed. 'Nice try, Draco.'

'I'm serious!' He said. 'How else do you explain the lack of nightmares? The only thing that changed was me sleeping in a bed with you.'

'You were also back at home, maybe that was why you slept so well?' Hermione offered.

'But when you weren't there over the summer I had them all the time before I started taking Dreamless Sleep. I think that's why Teddy was always escaping and waiting outside the door.' Draco said with a sad smile.

'You think that by sleeping next to you, I've stopped you from having nightmares?' Hermione asked, not believing him in the slightest.

'Only one way to find out.' Draco said with a shrug.

'You can try.' Hermione mumbled.

Draco smirked and went back to his Potions homework.

'Can we go for dinner?' Hermione huffed after a few minutes. 'I can't concentrate anymore.'

'Have thoughts of sharing a bed with me distracted you?' Draco asked, getting up from the desk and making his way over to Hermione who was sprawled on the floor in front of the fire. She stood up, looking up to see that his eyes were stormy grey.

'No.' She insisted, but then smiled. 'Maybe...'

'Come on, let's get some food.' He said with a kiss to her nose.

Like lunch, dinner was a quiet affair with so few people gathered around the table. Hermione missed the often chaotic chatter of Ginny, Blaise and Luna that she had spent the last few months getting used to.

'Oh, Hermione,' Professor McGonagall said suddenly during pudding. 'Did you find the two surprises I left in your dormitory?'

'That was you?' Hermione asked.

'Molly sent me the package this morning.' McGonagall nodded. 'And I found your cat wandering around the Astronomy Tower last night.'

'I wonder why he went there.' Hermione mused aloud.

'Well, I think he knew that it was a place you often frequent.' McGonagall said with a smile, remembering seeing Hermione up there before term. The statement, however, made Draco choke on his Pumpkin Juice and earned him a few strange looks.