Chapter Fourteen: Eighth Year, September

She woke as the sun rose through her window and warmed her skin. Remembering her dream and the letter that probably caused it, she showered and dressed for the day in a slight rage. When she left her bedroom, dressed in her uniform with her hair still wet, and saw that it was snowing inside she took a few calming breaths and left for the Great Hall. The last thing she needed was Hagrid shouting about her causing the obscene indoor weather in front of the rest of the teachers.

Throughout the last few weeks herself and the other teachers had gathered together on one table in the middle of the hall for meals, so she took her usual spot in between McGonagall and Hagrid as they had breakfast and planned for the arrival of all of the students. They were prepared for a new year, a fresh start, but the Headmaster had warned them that there would be far less students as there normally were. All Hermione could think about was seeing Ginny and having a friend that she could talk to that wasn't on the staff.

The day passed quickly, much to Hermione's surprise, and it was soon time for everyone to arrive. She spotted Ginny straight away, having told her that she would be waiting by the doors to see her, and ran over to give her a big hug. Though they would deny it later, there were some squeals of excitement as they embraced and walked arm in arm to the Gryffindor table.

'How is everyone?' Asked Hermione as they sat down and waited for the other students to file in.

'They all miss you.' Ginny admitted. 'But they're coping. Harry and Ron started training last week and it seems to be going well so far. Mum and dad have good days and bad days, but all in all are coping.'

'It feels like forever since I left.' Hermione said, suddenly feeling guilty that she had abandoned her family.

'No one blamed you for leaving. I almost asked to come with you, but I didn't want to spend an extra month away from Harry.' She said, giving Hermione a quick wink. They giggled together like the teenage girls that they are and watched as the students filed in.

McGonagall gave a speech before the first years were Sorted, letting everyone know that despite sitting with their houses for the Sorting ceremony they would be free to sit anywhere and with anyone for the rest of the year. There were many surprised whispers, but the general mood was that it was a great idea for the teachers to encourage relationships between houses. Hermione took pride in the fact that it was her idea to encourage and recommend it in an announcement.

Hermione watched the Sorting with an air of jealousy, wishing she could go back to First Year and do it all over again with Harry and Ron. Despite getting themselves into trouble, and danger, more than the regular Hogwarts student she wouldn't change it for the world because of the friendship it created between the three of them.

After the final first year was sorted into Ravenclaw, McGonagall began the feast and Hermione felt as though she was finally at home once again.

Ginny was discussing the pros and cons of starting a Gryffindor Quidditch team from scratch when Hermione's attention was grabbed by the doors to the Great Hall opening. The indistinct chatter died as a tall, white haired boy in Slytherin robes stepped inside.

'Draco.' Hermione whispered.

No one spoke for thirty seconds, but the silence was broken by an equally tall Slytherin who stood from his seat and walked over to the doorway to clap Draco on the back in welcome.

'Are you okay?' Ginny asked, glancing at Hermione who was slowly rising from her seat. Hermione didn't speak, simply walked the length of the Great Hall as the room watched her.

Draco opened his mouth, a small smile detectable on his features, but didn't manage to get the words out as Hermione shoved his chest. She wasn't strong enough to knock him over but the surprise caused him to take a couple of steps back. He could tell she was angry, steam practically flowing from her ears.