Chapter Sixteen: Eighth Year, September

Hermione managed to hurry Draco out of their dormitory with plenty of time for them to have breakfast in the Great Hall. She assumed that they would part ways and sit at their usual tables, but when they entered and saw Blaise sat opposite Ginny and next to Luna, she pulled Draco by the hand and they both took a seat with the other three.

'I have to say, Granger, I never thought I'd see myself sat with two Gryffindors and a Ravenclaw, let alone Malfoy.' Blaise commented as he sipped his coffee. 'You must be a good influence on him.'

Draco didn't miss the wink that Blaise sent him and he gave him a swift kick under the table. Blaise barely flinched and continued to sip his coffee.

'I think it's nice that we can all sit together.' Came Luna's calming voice from Blaise's side. 'I've never had the chance to talk to you before, you're a nice person.'

She was speaking directly to Blaise, who gave her a look as she continued to eat her breakfast. He'd never been referred to as a nice person before and kind of liked it, even if it was coming from the girl who disliked nothing.

'As Head Girl and Head Boy it makes a good impression to sit together, especially with the rivalry between our houses.' Hermione said.

'So when you stormed up to him and gave him a good shove, what kind of impression was that supposed to give?' Ginny asked with a small giggle.

'That was different.' Hermione muttered.

'Granger was just giving him what he deserved.' Blaise said, sending a wink at Hermione. Draco gave Blaise another swift kick.

I overreacted.' Hermione said, effectively ending the conversation while trying not to make it obvious that Draco had slipped a hand on her thigh beneath the table. He gave her a quick squeeze with his hand and a small smile that the others couldn't see, before the five of them began idly chatting at the upcoming year.

It was Hermione and Ginny that did most of the talking, as per usual, but Hermione was surprised to see Blaise happily engaging in the conversation with them. It was the most she had heard him speak despite spending a bit of time in his company during Sixth Year in Slughorn's club.

Luna was the first to excuse herself to go to her Herbology lesson, and she was quickly followed by Blaise who could be heard shouting her name as he ran through the Hall to offer to walk her to her class.

'Is there something going on between those two?' Hermione asked Ginny.

'Zabini and Loony?' Draco asked with a scoff. Hermione gave him a swift elbow to the ribs at his use of 'Loony' and he let out a loud grunt.

'I could barely get a word in before you two showed up.' Ginny said.

'Maybe they'll surprise you.' Hermione said, looking at Draco. He raised his eyebrows as if to say "yeah, right" but then remembered he was sat with two Gryffindors and kept quiet. Maybe Blaise would surprise him and start dating Lovegood.

'We should get going.' Hermione said suddenly. 'Class starts in five minutes.'

She picked up his hand, that had spent all of breakfast resting on her thigh, and thread her fingers through his as she said a hurried goodbye to Ginny and pulled Draco from his seat. She was practically running through the corridors and Draco bit back a laugh when he realised this was the first time he had ever ran to a class while he'd been at Hogwarts. What was Hermione doing to him?

'Granger, slow down.' He said when she almost stumbled on the stairs. He'd reached out to catch her before she fell and his hands were now resting on her hipbones as she righted herself. He took a steadying breath, pushing the thought of how his hands would feel on her bare skin out of his mind, and looped an arm around her waist as they finished their walk to class.