Chapter Twenty Three: Eighth Year, January

Hermione was both relieved and disappointed when Draco suggested they go back to school a few days early. She hadn't done any of her homework while staying at Andromeda's and she knew Draco hadn't either. Their attention was fully invested in Teddy, and that was one of the reasons why she was so disappointed to leave. She had grown to love him as if he were her own and she knew she'd miss the comforting cuddles that he gave her when he was tired and wanted to nap against her shoulder.

'How will we get back to Hogwarts?' Hermione asked the night before they were meant to leave.

'We can get a Portkey or Apparate to Hogsmeade.' Draco said. 'I owled McGonagall a few days ago to ask if we could and she said that we were welcome to come back whenever.'

'Okay.' Hermione said with a sad smile.

'You're going to miss him aren't you?' Draco said with a knowing smile.

'Terribly.' Hermione admitted. 'And you mother and Andromeda.'

'I'll miss them too.' Draco said, pulling her in for a hug. 'But they'll make sure we come back for Easter, we won't have a choice in the matter.'

Hermione smiled and wandlessly packed her trunk, ready for the morning.

When it was time to say goodbye Hermione hugged Narcissa and Andromeda and thanked them for letting her stay, telling them that she would be back at Easter, and Draco followed her with hugs for his mother and aunt. Hermione turned to Teddy, who had crawled over to sit by her ankles, and picked him up for a hug too.

'I'll miss you.' She whispered to him as his hair turned brown and curly.

'So will I.' Draco muttered over Hermione's shoulder, kissing the top of Teddy's head. Teddy held his arms out for Draco to take him and watched as the child's eyes turned grey as he pulled him from Hermione's arms. The little boy rest his head on Draco's shoulder and looked up at Hermione with tears in his eyes.

'We'll see you soon.' Hermione promised as Draco tucked her under his arm so that they could both give Teddy one last hug. After a minute Draco passed Teddy over to Andromeda and they said their goodbyes one last time before walking to the Apparition point. Hermione wiped a few stray tears off her face and squeezed Draco's hand as they walked across the field.

It didn't take them long to get back into Hogsmeade with Draco Apparating them, and they walked up towards the castle with the snow falling around them in time for lunch. They left their trunks with a kind House Elf that greeted them in the Entrance Hall, and made their way into the Great Hall.

Hermione noticed that all of the teachers were sat on one of the tables in the middle of the hall, like during the summer, with only a few students who had stayed for Christmas, and took a seat beside Professor Slughorn with Draco on her other side.

They ate quietly, engaging in conversation only when the teachers asked them questions, but that was rare. When lunch time was over, Draco took Hermione's hand and led her back to their dormitory, knowing that she was tired from their journey.

'Bellator Luminis.' Hermione mumbled when they got to their portrait.

Draco was about to ask if she wanted a cup of tea when he heard a meow by his feet.

'Crookshanks!' Hermione cried, bending down to pick the ginger ball of fluff from the floor.

'What is that?' Draco muttered, staring at the cat in Hermione's arms.

'He's half-Kneazle.' Hermione snapped. 'And I thought he was gone during the war.'

Draco softened when he realised Hermione was crying, probably out of sheer joy that her cat had returned alive, so he placed a hand on her shoulder. Crookshanks turned his head and sniffed Draco's hand, considering him for a moment, before letting out a meow and giving him a lick. Draco turned his nose up but didn't pull his hand away, he knew that Kneazles were a good judge of character and he didn't want Crookshanks to hate him.