Chapter Ten: Seventh Year, March

'The name's taboo!' Ron bellowed.

Hermione gasped when she heard the crack of apparition all around them and the next twenty minutes were a blur. She didn't realise where they had taken them until she saw the familiar white blond hair and grey eyes glance over her. He didn't make any sort of suggestion of recognition but Hermione knew that he had seen her and would swear on her life that a flicker of panic flit across his eyes.

'Look, Draco, isn't it the Granger girl?' Hermione heard Narcissa Malfoy ask. Hermione held her breath and didn't dare look at Draco in case she burst into tears.

'I... maybe... I don't know.' She heard him reply. She glanced over to see his back turned on her, glaring into the fireplace.

'Take a better look.' Narcissa said, pulling Draco over to where Hermione was restrained by Greyback. 'We have to be sure it's them.'

Draco stared into Hermione's eyes. He had known instantly that it was her, he barely had to look over to know who she was. Despite months on the run wearing her down and thinning her considerably, she looked stronger than he had ever seen her before, and he had to be strong too. For her.

'I barely know what she looks like. I never spoke to her in school so I wouldn't know if this was the real Granger stood in front of me.' Draco said, inches from her face. She made no movement or sign, but Draco could see the relief in her eyes.

Narcissa gripped Draco's shoulder and pulled him away when Bellatrix stormed into the room. Draco felt the colour drain from his face when he saw Bellatrix look at Hermione. His mother pulled him further away and hissed in his ear about staying calm and not looking suspicious. She knew that it was Hermione and that Draco had lied but didn't care, only insisting that he keep himself quiet. He looked away again and flinched when Bellatrix's voice ripped through the air as she screamed about a sword.

Draco could barely conceal his expression when Harry and Ron were sent to the cellar with Greyback, leaving Hermione with his deranged aunt. He made to move towards Hermione but his mother had a death grip on his elbow. He pleaded her with his eyes but she gave a small shake of her head and held him where he was. He closed his eyes and tried not to flinch, or throw up, when he heard the first scream escape.

'I can't do this, mother.' He murmured, turning towards her so that no one would see his discomfort.

'She's strong, Draco. You must be strong too.' His mother muttered back.

It was all Draco could do to not throw up on the floor and get himself killed for showing weakness.

When his aunt asked him to get the goblin from the cellar Draco was glad for the release and the chance to let the emotion cross his face in private. His face crumpled and his shoulders sagged as he let out a silent scream before retrieving the goblin from the cellar. As he got to the top of the stairs he almost fainted at the sight of Hermione's left arm and the permanent mark that his aunt had left on her.

'No.' He whispered. Hermione's head was turned towards him and he watched as a single tear fell into the crook of her nose. She looked into his eyes and held him in his position at the top of the stairs with a weak look. No one was watching him, too preoccupied with Bellatrix's questioning of the goblin. "I'm so sorry" he mouthed to Hermione, watching as she blinked in understanding. Draco wondered how she could be so strong when he was falling apart on the inside.

'Draco.' His mother hissed, calling his attention, and he joined her once more. He never took his eyes off Hermione's limp body and half blank stare.

Hermione couldn't feel a thing besides the sting in her left forearm. She watched as Draco's face crumpled at the sight of it. He was mouthing words to her that she couldn't make out, but she knew it was an apology. She blinked, letting him know that she knew it wasn't his fault. She kept his gaze as long as he kept hers and it helped with the sting. She could be strong for him.