Chapter Thirty: 1999, New Years Eve

Hermione shivered as the cold breeze blew across the balcony. She hadn't brought a jacket outside with her and was quickly starting to regret it.

She glanced down at her left hand, admiring the engagement ring as it glittered in the moonlight, and smiled at the memory of Draco's proposal.

She never dreamed of getting engaged at such a young age, and Draco admitted he wouldn't have done it so soon if it weren't for the cupboard, but he knew that he wanted it to be meaningful and there was no better place. He was right, Hermione had to admit, that there was nothing more romantic than taking her back to where it all started.

She absentmindedly twirled the ring around her finger and fought off another shiver. She didn't want to abandon the party inside, but it had become somewhat claustrophobic in there and she craved some fresh air.

Hermione looked upwards, trying to see if she could identify any constellations in the clear sky. She spotted Draco glittering in the darkness straight away, her eyes flitting to Lyra next, then landing on Scorpius and finally settling on Cassiopeia.

'Have you found me?' A voice asked behind her, warm breath tickling her ear and sending a shiver up her spine.

She would have known who it was even if he hadn't spoke, his scent slowly washed over her as he stood only inches away. It was crisp, slightly sweet and distinctly masculine.

She smiled to herself and raised an arm, pointing to the cluster of stars above her head.

'Straight away.' She said as a shiver ran down her spine once more; warm fingers brushed across her shoulder and swept her hair to the side so that her neck was exposed while damp lips pressed to her skin.

'You're freezing.' He muttered, a slight anger to his tone.

She turned her body around to find Draco behind her, shrugging off his suit jacket so that he could place it over her shoulders.

'I just needed some fresh air.' She said with a small smile as the warmth of his jacket seeped into her skin.

'Are you feeling alright?' He asked, slipping an arm around her waist and placing his palm against the bare skin of her back.

'I'm fine.' She replied, kissing him.

'You always say that when something is on your mind.' He said, pulling her closer.

'It's nothing.' She whispered. This wasn't the night.

'No, tell me.' He demanded, but his tone was soothing.

'Draco, it's almost midnight, we should go back inside.' Hermione said, trying to change the subject.

'Hermione.' He insisted, cupping her cheek so that she couldn't avoid his gaze. She couldn't speak as a single tear leaked down her face. 'What's wrong? You're worrying me.'

'Draco, I'm...' she started, wanting to apologise but the words wouldn't come. He waited for her to start again, kissing her tears away.

'Draco.' She said as she took a deep breath. 'I'm pregnant.'

Draco didn't react straight away and Hermione closed her eyes, waiting for him to take it badly.

'What?' He asked in a chocked voice, his eyes wide.

'I'm pregnant.' She repeated, finding it easier this time.

'Say it one more time.' He whispered.

'I'm pregnant.' She whispered again.

Draco was quiet for another moment before he wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her round, letting out an excited yell. He placed her gently back on the ground and kissed her, pressing her body against the balcony wall.