fourty-seven

The first day, Taehyung visits his father in the hospital. He didn't know what to expect but he surely wasn't expecting to see what he did.

He made sure to wake up early enough so he wouldn't disturb Y/N and Jungkook. He took the car and made his way over to the hospital, stopping at the front desk to speak to the receptionist. Once he was given the visitor's pass and the room number, he went there with his heart heavy in his chest.

He pulls the curtains to the room back and enters slowly, eyes finding the man immediately.  Taehyung's eyes immediately clash together in confusion. His mother made it seem like his father was dying, but right now he looks perfectly fine.

"Is that you, Taehyung?" he looks up and squints his eyes, not really believing the sight in front of him. Taehyung snaps out of his daze and walks closer to his father who's now smiling brightly at him. "It's been so long I thought I'd never see you again." he reaches out to squeeze one of Taehyung's hands.

Taehyung pulls a chair from the corner of the room and sits as close to him as he can. His father asks him many questions and Taehyung answers. He spills everything, about Y/N and their situation and everything he's done. His father listens and nods, feeling down about how he let Yerin step all over him like that. He really loves her.

After Taehyung runs out of things to say, he asks the one question that's been pressing on his mind the entire time. "W-What's wrong with you? Why are you here?" he blurts out. His father smiles sadly. "I'm dying. Didn't your mother tell you?"

Taehyung shakes his head furiously. "But you look fine. You don't even look sick, there's no way." he rambles on and on until he feels his father's hand on top of his. "I have Pulmonary disease, Taehyung. It's terminal and my days are short. I'm glad you're here with me." Taehyung still isn't understanding how he can look so healthy but in reality he's not.

"You look exhausted. Go home and get some more rest and come back tomorrow. I'd like to see everyone." he tells Taehyung, a short cough escaping his lips right after. Taehyung finally notices how small and brittle his father looks. How his eyes are sunken and his hair has grayed. He can't believe this.

After some more convincing from his father, he leaves the hospital and returns home where he's met with a worried Y/N. As soon as the door opened, Y/N was throwing herself into his chest, burying her head into the crook of his neck. Taehyung slowly wraps his arms around her as she tells him how worried she was, Jungkook comes peering from around the corner. 

Taehyung mumbles an apology as she pulls away and he sees her red rimmed eyes which meant she'd been crying. He fights back his own tears as he recalls the apparent severity of his father's illness. He blames himself for not spending enough time with him and letting his mother get in the way of his life. He manages to hold in his emotions in front of Y/N because he knows that she doesn't like to see him like that and judging by the way Jungkook reacted yesterday, neither does he. 

Jungkook sighs and interrupts just as Y/N begins to cry again. She's been crying all day and he doesn't know what to do about it. "Where did you go?" he asks, walking closer and placing a hand on Y/N's back and his fingers brush Taehyung's as he's still holding her.

Taehyung swallows before answering, responding shallowly. "Hospital." he says and Jungkook freezes but nods after understanding immediately. Taehyung takes a deep breath in before speaking more. "He wants to see you, Y/N. And he wants to see you too." he looks at Jungkook who freezes once again. "W-Why me?" he doesn't like being put on the spot like this.

"He knows about us, it's okay." he mutters, unraveling his arms away from Y/N who feels lost without anyone's touch. Taehyung leaves and locks himself into the bathroom without another word, letting his emotions run free in there. He doesn't want this to happen, this shouldn't be happening at all.