Chapter 19: Suspicion

---Fours pov----

Once Tris is off the platform, Lauren pulls a Candor girl out of the net. I am still looking at Tris when the dauntless surrounding the net congratulate her, and clap her on her back. She flinches. 

She flinches every time somebody even touches her back. Like when I put the hand between her shoulder blades. Stupid. I think.  But that's not what i'm focused on.  I know that flich. Every time my so called father touched me I would wince. He would always put his hand on my shoulder, and it always sent searing pain through my back.  I could be very wrong and probably am, Was there others like marcus in abnegation? I think back to when I pulled tris out of the net.

" There's a reason she left them lauren"  I say. 

I am pulled out of my thoughts when Lauren askes the candor girl for her name and I turn my attention back to the net. 

"Christina" Says the candor girl and steps of the platform.  The next person to plummet into the net is fully blacked-clothed. As soon as I see The dauntless borns face, I know its Uriah, Zeke's brother. He rolls out of the net with ease and his signature goofy smile. 

"Uriah" Says Lauren, not needing to ask what his name is. 

"You know it" Says Uri with a wink. I stifle a laugh and shove him towards the other dauntless. Once everybody has jumped they all gather in a crowd.

"Dauntless Borns come with me, I assume you don't need a tour of the place" lauren says. The dauntless borns head towards her, leaving the transfers in there own group. Uriah Is tripped by Lynn on the way over and I smile. He recovers before he falls on the flour and pushes lynn.

" Lynns a meanie" Uriah says in a whiney voice.

" Shut it uri" Lynn snaps

"Pansycake" Uriah mutters, I still hear it, I assume the transfers do to considering the confused glaces they are sending each other.  I turn my body towards them and turn on my instructor face. 

" Okay, Listen up!" I yell "Transfers your with me, I am your initiation instructor. Most of the time I work in the control room. My name is Four"  The candor girl- Christina- starts to giggle. No doubt at my name. Most people that dont know what it means tend to laugh at it. I can't have that. She looks up at me with a huge smile on her face.

" Something funny initiate" I say

" Your name is Four. Like the number" She asks amusement laced in her voice. If she new what it standard for I highly doubt she would laugh at it. I decide not to tell her though.

" Exactly like the number" I say coldly

" What happened 1 2 and 3 where taken?" She asks still giggling. I give her a cold stare. Lets have some fun here. I walk towards her slowly taking my time. The initiates eye me, Tris staring at Christina with a "Really" look.  I stop just less that a foot away from her, I lean in slightly, towarding over her. I stay silent until I see her smile falter, I grin And lean in a little closer.

" If I wanted to put up with candor smart mouths I would have joined there faction." I say in a deadly quiet voice. They still hear me since everybody is silent. " The first lesson you learn from me is to keep your mouth shut" I raise my voice a little " Got that?" I say raising my eyebrows at her. She gives a small nod of her head. 

"Good" I back away and walk towards the cordors "Follow me" I don't bother seeing if they are. After a few steps I hear Christina mutter " What a jerk" I assume she was talking to Tris because she responds with " Maybe he just doesn't like to be laughed at" She whispers. Finally somebody gets it! I feel a surge of happiness that she didn't side with Christina. We walk to the double doors at then end of the hallway and I push them both open with my arms.  I hear them gasp.

" This is the pit,center of life her at dauntless" I say " You will one day learn to love-" I am interrupted by Christinas snickering. " The pit, clever name" I stare at her, drilling holes in her head. I already reprimanded her once I shouldn't need to do it again. Lucky she drops her smile and amusement from her face and shrinks back into the crowd. I continue and switch my eyes to Tris's Blue-grey ones.

"As I was saying, This is the pit, you will one day learn to love it" I say holding Tris's gaze.

"If you'll follow me I will show you the dormitories" I say as I walk up the very narrow path with no railing. I force myself not to look down, knowing I will just panic.I hold open the second set of doors for the initiates to go through, to the next cordor. Tris pass's through first and my eyes cling to her, her shoulders are as far back as possible and she is standing like a rod and as soon as her back is to me, I know why.

Her back is bleeding through her gray clothes and I know from 16 years of being beaten and seeing my mother being beaten, what open lash wounds look like when they open, even through clothes, the diagonal lines of blood seeping through her shirt

Is a dead give away to me.